Buying a laptop ~£700

Status
Not open for further replies.

saka-rauka1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
1. What is your budget?

£700 or higher if really necessary

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Not concerned with size or weight.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1440x900 minimum or closest laptop equivalent (tend to have odd resolutions).

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable; I already have a gaming desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need?

I have an 18 hour flight. The longer the better :p

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes: Mass effect 3, Assassins Creed Revelations, a few older games; all in all nothing too taxing. Can stand to reduce settings if required.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

I mess around with visual C++ and PS CS5 every now and again.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Not much, most downloading will happen at home on my desktop.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

http://www.scan.co.uk/

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

1 year, maybe 2.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD RW if possible but it's not really necessary.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Never bought a laptop before and self built my desktop so, no idea.

13. What country do you live in?

UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Budget is pretty flexible and I can increase it if you think its a good idea. I don't know which brands are any good when it comes to laptops as I've never has any interest in them before. It's not meant for any serious gaming like Crysis 2, BF3 etc. I'd like it if the battery life was high but if it has to be sacrificed for better quality parts then that's not a problem. An increased cost for higher battery life won't be a problem though. Doesn't need anything fancy like an SSD or an integrated webcam + mic or anything like that.

From what I've read a 540M would be good enough for what I've listed. I'd love to have a 560 but looks like it will be too expensive. Let me know what kind of price range that option would be and I can decide whether or not its worth it.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS