Help! I need a decent laptop for no more than £700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorkshire_Pudding

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Im no computer whizz so please forgive me for my severe lack of techno knowledge, but this is why I need some good advice from the pro's... I don't want to be conned by pushy sales people into buying the most expensive laptop and paying more than I need to because they've seen me coming!

An ex blew up my desktop pc about 4 yrs ago trying to mod it up! As an apology he bought me a laptop, but he clearly bought the cheapest in the shop because its given me 4 years of hell. Its a Medion, Windows Vista, Intel Celeron M (thats all the technical info I can give you Im afraid). Its so exceptionally slow, it freezes, it crashes, its incapable of multi-tasking, simple actions send it into a wobbler - I can't take it anymore! I HAVE to buy new one...

So despite being rather skint Im just going to have to invest in a new laptop. I've set a limit of no more than £700 and this laptop has to last me several years. It has to function with some decent speed, have a good amount of memory for photo's, music, vid's, software etc, should be able to multi-task (I can be downloading music, uploading online auction listings, using online image hosting websites, sending emails etc all at once).

Im assuming a good CPU is key when finding a decent laptop but all the different types means nothing to me.

I have been wondering about a HP G6-1155sa - its within my budget at £600 and has an Intel Core i5-2410M processor, 4Gb RAM, 640Gb hard drive. I've read a few reviews and its been rated pretty highly. Would this do the job for my general all round usage?

I can't handle anymore wasted hours staring that god awful spinning timer...waiting...waiting...waiting...for my laptop to carry out the most basic of functions. Its sending me round the bend!!!

Hello and welcome to TH forums.

Yeah, to tell you the truth Vista itself is a very unstable system, which added to your frustration with a current laptop. When you get a new one it will have Windows 7 on it, and it'll work much better. :)

As far as HP G6 laptop, I think it will fit your needs wonderfully for at least next 4 years. Given that you don't start doing something like 3d designing or high resolution video editing (out of the things you mention you generally do, I think, you'll be fine)

Best of luck, I would recommend to check around other companies to see if you might get a better deal. And enjoy your new laptop once you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS