Looking for a laptop for under £500

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi_262

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Hey guys,

I need to buy a laptop before university starts in October (i know it sounds a bit early to start looking) and wanted to ask about your opinions on what a good laptop would be.

My budget is £500 MAX but preferably a bit closer to £400. the only musts are a decent battery life and a good keyboard (this matters most). it would also be nice if the laptop as a whole was easy on the eyes

i dont expect to play many games (maybe a few RTSs) but discrete gfx is a must but i suspect ill be stuck with a 1368x786 display. Im looking for screen sizes 14-16".

At the moment, im looking at this:

http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homelaptops/product.php?id=XD540EA&experience=direct

but would really appreciate some input on this.

abhi_262

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
basically it would be nice if the look had some character to it.

not too sure about the keyboard on the dell. it looks to be the standard dell keyboard which im not a big fan of (it gets the job done). also unsure if the i3 would cut it for my use. basically, ill typically have around 10 browser tabs open in chrome, thuinderbird open checking for mail every few minutes, 8 desktop widgets (3 hardware monitors, 4 rss feeds and a clock), playing some music and sometimes something downloading in the background.

but overall i reckon that goes into the maybe pile. also, i dont mind the prices getting a little closer to £500.

thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.