Hi, I'm a student with a limited budget moving to Japan in about a months time. Because I only have a desktop, I'm looking for a desktop replacement laptop that won't cost me too much.
Here are answers to the questions in the FAQ
1. What is your budget? £500
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6 inches
3. What screen resolution do you want? Whatever's reasonable for that screen size
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement
5. How much battery life do you need? Ideally 4+ hours, but it's not really an issue
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I do want to play games, but I am happy to play most of them on a low setting. I want to play League of Legends and Team Fortress 2, anything else is a bonus.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Basic stuff. Word-processing, web, films etc
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Ideally 500GB, though less is probably fine.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Not sure which vendors are good. Have only really looked on Amazon.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2-3 years. I honestly don't feel computers expire as fast as people make out. my £700 3-years-old desktop still runs anything I want to without a hiccup.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD I guess. Don't think Blu-ray makes a difference on a laptop screen.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Not sure. I like Asus, Acer, Lenovo etc, but I'll buy from others if they have a reputation for well-built machines.
13. What country do you live in? UK
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. The two laptops I've been looking at are the Acer Aspire 5742G and the Lenovo B570. The Acer has a dedicated graphics card whilst the Lenovo has a superior processor. I was mostly wondering which of these would run basic tasks plus some gaming best, and whether the lesser processor would be noticeably slower when running. Also if anyone has any suggestions of better deals or cheaper sites I'd be glad to hear them, though these are the two best laptops I've been able to find for the price.