Intel® i7-720QM or Core 2 Quad Q9000

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolskinbwi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I am looking at two laptops, and not sure what to purchase. I need to know which one would better serve my use. I use a lot of high 3d graphics programs including gaming but also 3d digital editing. I am looking between

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Processor (6M Cache, 1.60 GHz) this is a Sony VAIO with a 500Gig drive and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 1GB Graphics. - Not worried about the 500Gig drive as I have a 500Gig external.

and

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9000 (6M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) - this is an ASUS G72Gx-A1 with a 1TB drive and a dedicated nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M 1GB Graphics.

Can someone please help me determine which one would best meet my need. Not real sure what the major difference between these processors but I need something that will be fast and powerful. Would I be better off with the ASUS or the VAIO? ASUS runs at 1600.00 while the VAIO is running at 1400.00.

Any input would be helpful.

basket687

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Well, for gaming the GTX 260 (ASUS) is the superior graphics card, but it is coupled with Q9000 (not the best processor for gaming).

The VAIO has the i7-720QM which can be better for video editing (because it supports hyperthreading), but its graphics card (GT 330M) is not very powerful for gaming (although it is fairly good).

If I were you I would search for a laptop that includes the i7 plus a powerful graphics card ,Toshiba (and other companies) make laptops like this.

If you are going to game then go for Q9000/GTX 260M otherwise if you don't want to game go for i7 model since i7 720M is faster than Q9000 and GTX 260M is faster than GT 330M and since most games are GPU limited then Q9000/GTX 260M performs quite significantly better than i7/GT 330M

G

You know. I really like the hp pavilion dv8t, it has a pretty good graphic card and I customized it to Core i7 820 QM, 8GB DDR3 Ram, 500 GB 7200 RPM hard drive, and it has a 1GB Nividia. Pretty impressive and only costs $1750.00 ish. Of course if you want more expensive and more even higher end machines, get Alienware or Falcon Northwest. Personalize it with a Core i7 and turn everything to almost full except internal hard drives and you end up with something like $4000.00 or more of course. And the Falcon Northwest desktop replacement will cost you big bucks but it is really heavy. This is why you may want to get their laptop and configure it up to Intel Core i7 920 XM processor. This is why I therefore suggest the HP Pavilion dv8t. Here is a link to see the HP Pavilion dv8t http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=High+performance&series_name=dv8tqe_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/High_performance/dv8tqe_series

P.S. Please configure with base configuration and configure it up, do not use recommended config because it is somehow more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.