From: Jensen H Huang
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:48 AM
To: Employees
Subject: Kepler Rising

Today, the first Kepler - GTX 680 - is on shelves around the world!

Three years in the making.  The endeavor of a thousand of the world's best engineers.  One vision - build a revolutionary GPU and make a giant leap in efficient-performance.

Achieving efficient-performance, great performance while consuming the least possible energy, required us to change our entire design approach.  Close collaboration between architecture-design-VLSI-software-devtech-systems, intense scrutiny on where energy is spent, and inventions at every level were necessary.  The results are fantastic as you will see in the reviews.

Kepler also cultivated a passion for craftsmanship - nothing wasted, everything put together with care - with a goal of creating an exquisite product that works wonderfully.  Let's continue to raise the bar and establish extraordinary craftsmanship as a hallmark of our company.

Today is just the beginning of Kepler.  Because of its super energy-efficient architecture, we will extend GPUs into datacenters, to super thin notebooks, to superphones.  Not to mention bring joy and delight to millions of gamers around the world.

I want to thank all that gave your heart and soul to create Kepler.  You've created something wonderful.

Congratulations everyone!
Jensen

To quote Chris Angelini, the "GeForce GTX 680 is now the fastest single-GPU graphics card, and not by a margin that leaves room to hem or haw. Making matters worse for AMD, the GTX 680 is priced right between its Radeon HD 7970 and 7950. Providing that Nvidia’s launch price sticks, both Radeon HD 7900s need to be significantly less expensive in order to compete." Read our full GTX 680 review here.

Discuss
Ask a Category Expert

Create a new thread in the News comments forum about this subject

Example: Notebook, Android, SSD hard drive

This thread is closed for comments
Top Comments
  • 29 Hide
    tipoo , March 23, 2012 10:33 AM
    alterechoThe question is, why AMD is not reducing the prices of the 7970??

    Give it a bit more than a single day.
  • 21 Hide
    alvine , March 23, 2012 11:13 AM
    free gtx 680 for nvidia employees :D
  • 20 Hide
    ern88 , March 23, 2012 11:11 AM
    hfitchHe was talking power consumption to bits per second ratio. There isnt any other card out there that gives this amount of power per watt.

    Plus it's cheaper then the HD 7970 as well!!!!
Other Comments
    Display all 35 comments.
  • 20 Hide
    Shape , March 23, 2012 9:48 AM
    T_T *sniff sniff* Thanks sir Jensen!
  • 2 Hide
    Swolern , March 23, 2012 10:02 AM
    680 SLI for me please?
  • 8 Hide
    alterecho , March 23, 2012 10:05 AM
    The question is, why AMD is not reducing the prices of the 7970??
  • 8 Hide
    LOL92 , March 23, 2012 10:17 AM
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! Bonus please =D
  • 29 Hide
    tipoo , March 23, 2012 10:33 AM
    alterechoThe question is, why AMD is not reducing the prices of the 7970??

    Give it a bit more than a single day.
  • 11 Hide
    raidenfox123 , March 23, 2012 10:38 AM
    Price reduction's will come. Also for the people that will argue that when overclocked they perform similarly, remember. Not everyone is willing to OC there video cards. Also wait till EGVA debuts there Classified with the 14 Phase PWM, and it OC's like a beast! :D  Can't wait.
  • 11 Hide
    tomfreak , March 23, 2012 11:04 AM
    biggest thank should be give all the employee a bonus.

    oh wait we are not done yet Jen, when is my GK107/gk106 chip? or GK110.
  • 13 Hide
    hfitch , March 23, 2012 11:04 AM
    theconsolegamer"GeForce GTX 680 is now the fastest single-GPU graphics card, and not by a margin that leaves room to hem or haw" This is BS. Chris Angelini's a beast but like almost any other reviewer out there he let the Radeon at stock while the GTX 680 autoclocks itself. The 7970 and the GTX 680 are equally fast, they trade blows across the board and none can be called faster, period. Misleading review is misleading.
    He was talking power consumption to bits per second ratio. There isnt any other card out there that gives this amount of power per watt.
  • 20 Hide
    ern88 , March 23, 2012 11:11 AM
    hfitchHe was talking power consumption to bits per second ratio. There isnt any other card out there that gives this amount of power per watt.

    Plus it's cheaper then the HD 7970 as well!!!!
  • 21 Hide
    alvine , March 23, 2012 11:13 AM
    free gtx 680 for nvidia employees :D
  • -6 Hide
    jjtober1 , March 23, 2012 11:23 AM
    Quote:
    He was talking power consumption to bits per second ratio. There isnt any other card out there that gives this amount of power per watt.

    The Radeon 7870 is right in there.
  • 9 Hide
    ubercake , March 23, 2012 11:33 AM
    theconsolegamer"GeForce GTX 680 is now the fastest single-GPU graphics card, and not by a margin that leaves room to hem or haw" This is BS. Chris Angelini's a beast but like almost any other reviewer out there he let the Radeon at stock while the GTX 680 autoclocks itself. The 7970 and the GTX 680 are equally fast, they trade blows across the board and none can be called faster, period. Misleading review is misleading.

    There is consensus across reviews on many reputable sites (tomshardware, anandtech, hardocp, overclockersclub, etc...) exhibiting the performance advantage of the 680 over the 7970. This is not only on a single display, but also across 3-display configurations.

    At one time, you could say you'd get near Nvidia performance at a lower price if you went with AMD. Now there is no advantage to owning a 7970 other than you can tell people you spent $50-100 more for lower performance. Maybe AMD is going for the Apple angle with this generation of GPUs?
  • 6 Hide
    JackFrost860 , March 23, 2012 11:37 AM
    "Today the GTX680 is on the shelf around the world". Today you can't buy one for love nor money, would have been a more correct statement.
  • 6 Hide
    raidenfox123 , March 23, 2012 11:39 AM
    theconsolegamer"GeForce GTX 680 is now the fastest single-GPU graphics card, and not by a margin that leaves room to hem or haw" This is BS. Chris Angelini's a beast but like almost any other reviewer out there he let the Radeon at stock while the GTX 680 autoclocks itself. The 7970 and the GTX 680 are equally fast, they trade blows across the board and none can be called faster, period. Misleading review is misleading.

    Trading blows? That would suggest that the 7970 out performed the GTX 680 in multiple game benchmarks, when in fact it did not. It beat it in 1/3 of 1 test! And as stated this is a "Gaming" Card, not a compute card so it would be pointless to take into factor results that are not game benchmarks. And there is more to come, I'm sure that more power can be pushed out of these cards. The TDP is running around 175w? With 2 6pins, wait till company's like MSI and EVGA start putting a larger PWM and thermal design into these things. I'm sure you'll see that marge go UP very fast. Right now were looking at a 13% increase in performance average over the 7970, wait a few months till the non reference boards come out and we will see where that increase is.
  • -6 Hide
    omnimodis78 , March 23, 2012 11:58 AM
    This is a very disingenuous "thank you" letter. It reads more (entirely) like an advertising campaign. I am pro-nvidia, and find the technology that Kepler represents very intriguing, but from a strictly business management perspective, such 'thank you' internal memos are inappropriate and condescending. It shows that management, or in this case the CEO, doesn't really feel much gratitude or appreciation at all, but is merely pushing the advertising machine. A sincere thank you letter focuses on the effort of the employees, not the product.
  • 11 Hide
    bourgeoisdude , March 23, 2012 12:20 PM
    hfitchHe was talking power consumption to bits per second ratio. There isnt any other card out there that gives this amount of power per watt.

    No he wasn't. The GTX680 is faster than the 7970 in nearly every gaming performance test. It's not even close.
  • -5 Hide
    The_King , March 23, 2012 12:22 PM
    What Nvidia promised the GTX 680 to be and what they gave the public is two different things (GTX 670 Ti) cause the 7970 is not fast has Nvidia expected it to be. I will still stick with my 5970
  • -5 Hide
    cmcghee358 , March 23, 2012 12:32 PM
    5970+5870 FTW. I love having an old flagship that still kills todays games!
  • 6 Hide
    CaedenV , March 23, 2012 12:32 PM
    alterechoThe question is, why AMD is not reducing the prices of the 7970??

    1) as stated above: it takes more than one day for a large company to react to changes in the market. Partly because they are big, slow, and cumbersome, and partly because if they were trading blows on a day-by-day basis you would never know when to jump in and make a purchase. Consistent expectations with the occasional sale/rebate sell more cards than a paranoid market.

    2) They may not be able to: 7970 is much like the 580 was. It is a compute card with a gaming driver. My 570 is the same way, and I would not have purchased an nVidia last time around except that I use software that requires a 570 for accelerated rendering. If AMD plays their cards right (lol) then they will be able to steal a TON of business from the workstation GPU market which is completely and entirely owned by nVidia at the moment (because nVidia has better support for software developers, something AMD has yet to learn) in spite of the higher markups. Add to that all of the production issues (remember the 7970 was supposed to be out in November but due to bad batches, which are expensive, they pushed it back to Feb), the normal development/advertising cost, and the fact that it is a bigger (more expensive) GPU than the 680, they may be stuck at the price they are at for a little while.

    3) You cannot get a 680, and there are not cheaper cards out yet, so if there is no available competition then why lower the price?: As with all fresh releases, all of the 680s are sold out, and will be hard to come by for a little while. Sure, diehard nVidia fans, and performance benchmarkers are going to wait for it to be available, but the average Joe is going to note that after an OC both cards are of similar performance and either figure that $50 isn't worth loosing sleep over, or simply buy the 7950 which is cheaper, but still no slouch. The point being; If you wanted to buy a card yesterday, then you got the 680. If you have to buy a card today (either because it is for work, or because you are a child who lacks patients) then you have no choice but to buy the AMD option. In a month when cards are radially available price drops will become more of an option. Also once the full product line of 600 cards is released over the next few months and nVidia is killing AMD in more price brackets THEN we will see prices drop a little.
  • 0 Hide
    lahawzel , March 23, 2012 1:02 PM
    To superphones? I'd prefer my phones to have some semblance of battery life.
Display more comments