Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in

Team Meat Pulls Back the Covers on Mew-Genics

By - Source: PC Gamer | B 12 comments
Tags :

Ed McMillen finally details Mew-Genics...

Until recently, Team Meat's been reluctant to say much about its latest project Mew-Genics. All the Super Meat Boy devs had revealed was that it was due for a 2013 release on iOS, Android, and PC. Oh and that it was going to be a game about cats. Considering the majority of the Internet's unhealthy obsession with cats (we're looking at you, Reddit), it sounded like the recipe for success.

Ed McMillen, the design half of the two-man team, finally revealed a bit more about the game via Team Meat's official blog. The reason that the team had taken so long to pull back the wraps on the game, explained McMillen, was because it was a difficult game to explain. "I think most would describe Mew-Genics as a cross between The Sims and Pokemon with a sprinkling of Animal Crossing and a dash of Tamagotchi," wrote McMillen, "but at its core the game really isn't like anything we've seen before."

He then went on to explain that at its core, Mew-Genics was meant to be about "tending to cats in a simulated "cat lady" environment." However, because the game's design was so complex, McMillen decided that a short story about a playthrough would be the only way to do the experience justice.

"Last week I was playing a game with Puddle, a fat female cat I had been working on earlier that day, I thawed her out of her Cryo-cube and placed her in my current single story house along with her newly generated companion Champ. I had been focusing my time on Puddle due to the fact that she seemed to have a very unique tail that I believe had helped her place 2nd in a cat pageant in a previous and I needed to breed her so I could continue her bloodline before she got too old. Sadly Champ wasn't up to snuff and Puddle made this obvious by repeatedly kicking him in the face, I separated them quickly by putting champ in the attic but when I tried to feed him.. something odd happened. See, Champ was a dullard and when Puddle kicked him he just happened to also be eating and now associated the trauma with food instead of Puddle herself, he was scared of all food.. and sadly died in the attic shortly after. 

It wasn't long after though that I caught sight of a solid black stray cat named Goon, before he had a chance to run I grabbed him and pulled him inside. Goon was a much better fit for Puddle and before I knew it the humping started and puddle was pregnant! I put her in the attic with plenty of food and a bed, but quickly noticed that something was up with Goon, he seemed to be constantly falling asleep. As it turned out Goon was a narcoleptic and as you might have guessed Puddle gave birth to 2 sleeping kittens, one of them fat like his mother and black like his dad and the other small but with his mom's markings and that amazing forked tail that helped in the last pageant, but sadly both kittens were narcoleptic like their father... 

Goon acted aggressively towards the kittens so I let him back out into the yard and he eventually ran away. As the kittens grew up I did enter the small one (his name was Dot) into a pageant but sadly he just fell asleep on the stage and didn't win anything. To add insult to injury Puddle also acquired feline aids from Goon and I couldn't afford any of the expensive treatments Dr. Beanies was offering so I put her back in the Cryo-cube in hopes that in the future I might have a cure for her disease once I finish a few more of the Doctor's missions. 

I wasn't able to save Dot because I was arrested by the local animal control shortly after I put Puddle in the cube, probably because of letting Goon run away.. and the whole giving my other cat aids thing... or maybe it was the dead cat in the attic."

McMillen finished out the post by stating that currently, Mew-Genics featured 25,418,658,283,290,000,000,000,000 cats, up from a previous number about half that. He promises that the number will continue to grow as more visual variations are added.

 

Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback

Discuss
Ask a Category Expert

Create a new thread in the News comments forum about this subject

Example: Notebook, Android, SSD hard drive

This thread is closed for comments
  • 1 Hide
    nolarrow , February 27, 2013 7:48 AM
    You mean pulls back the curtain ;) 
  • 1 Hide
    TheMadFapper , February 27, 2013 9:28 AM
    If they can't digivolve/evolve and do battle with other players I really don't care, I'll go buy a real cat.
  • -4 Hide
    unksol , February 27, 2013 10:26 AM
    So.... I read the first three paragraphs. especially

    "I think most would describe Mew-Genics as a cross between The Sims and Pokemon with a sprinkling of Animal Crossing and a dash of Tamagotchi,"

    And I thought "this is full on retard". Then I kept reading (I seriously regret that). And my mind is still struggling to deal with how this epic failure of... A... Game? Deserves space on Toms. I know Toms has gone down hill. But.... Holy.... Crap. I feel dumber just for reading this. And I HAVE cats.

    W.T.F...
  • Display all 12 comments.
  • 0 Hide
    The_Trutherizer , February 27, 2013 10:32 AM
    unksolSo.... I read the first there paragraphs. especially"I think most would describe Mew-Genics as a cross between The Sims and Pokemon with a sprinkling of Animal Crossing and a dash of Tamagotchi," And I thought "this is full on retard". Then I kept reading (I seriously regret that). And my mind is still struggling to deal with how this epic failure of... A... Game? Deserves space on Toms. I know Toms has gone down hill. But.... Holy.... Crap. I feel dumber just for reading this. And I HAVE cats. W.T.F...


    Don't kick it just yet. Team meat has proven that they know games.
  • 2 Hide
    CrArC , February 27, 2013 11:32 AM
    TheMadFapperIf they can't digivolve/evolve and do battle with other players I really don't care, I'll go buy a real cat.
    Absolutely. I have two real cats and they've evolved through many stages. Currently one is a prime example of feline perfection but the other is a bit of a failed experiment as it seems to have evolved into a large blobby thing that dribbles on my face in the morning and claws me to bits while it purrs.
  • 2 Hide
    Non-Euclidean , February 27, 2013 11:55 AM
    CrArCAbsolutely. I have two real cats and they've evolved through many stages. Currently one is a prime example of feline perfection but the other is a bit of a failed experiment as it seems to have evolved into a large blobby thing that dribbles on my face in the morning and claws me to bits while it purrs.



    I have one example of perfection, one blob that rubs against me and claws when it doesnt get attention and another that falls in between. After reading that article, I have no interest in the game. It lost me at "pageant".
  • 2 Hide
    joebob2000 , February 27, 2013 12:38 PM
    Hahaha i hope this is some sort of prank... "tending to cats in a simulated "cat lady" environment."

    Sim Catlady? Why don't i just get sims3, make a character that lives alone with 9 cats, and sit back and watch the agony. Oh wait i know the answer, because no one wants to be a ******* cat lady.
  • 1 Hide
    Vorador2 , February 27, 2013 1:01 PM
    This sounds REALLY strange. It's like Creatures on (feline)steroids.
  • 1 Hide
    gm0n3y , February 27, 2013 4:44 PM
    This game has a 25% chance of being really awesome and a 75% chance of being terrible. May check it out if it is cheap, for lols.
  • 0 Hide
    hate machine , February 27, 2013 7:44 PM
    "2013 release on iOS, Android, and PC"

    Pass...
  • 0 Hide
    feeblepenguin , February 28, 2013 12:00 AM
    But 25 septillion cats...
    That's like enough cats for one per person (assuming 10 billion people and an average reproductive age of 25) for the entire earth for the next 63 quadrillion years!
    That even more guns than in borderlands 2, or in the U.S. of A. (but probably not both)
  • 0 Hide
    agent_47 , February 28, 2013 1:15 AM
    I am SOOOO buying this for all 4 of my kids!!!! (all girls)