Leak: Fujitsu Internal Memo Over iPad Trademark

Last week, Apple made a splash with the expected announcement of the iPad. Even with Apple's affinity for iNames, few truly expected the iPad moniker due to the legal complications surrounding the trademark. But when Steve Jobs announced the iPad last month, those with knowledge of Fujitsu's product with the identical name knew that the fight had just begun.

Tom's Hardware received an anonymous tip that Fujitsu's management has sent out a company-wide memo regarding the official line on the current iPad trademark issue. We present it below:

Date:                January 29, 201

From:                FAI MARCO

To:                    ALL- FAI Employee

Subject:            Apple’s iPad Announcement

Dear colleagues,

On January 27, 2010, Apple launched a much-anticipated touch screen tablet computer product named the iPad.  As many of you know, Fujitsu has been marketing a product named “iPad” for years as a mobile retail appliance.  As this product is currently owned by Fujitsu Frontech North America (FFNA), they are the primary organization dealing with Apple over this trade market issue.

It has come to our attention that some teams are receiving queries regarding this issue and FFNA has asked that the following statement be used in response to such inquiries:

"Fujitsu is aware of Apple’s iPad announcement and the possible infringement on our trademark, which has been in use in connection with Fujitsu mobile retailing computer products since 2002.  We are currently discussing our options with our trademark counsel and have no further comment at this time."

If you receive media/press requests for comments, please forward the inquiries to the FFNA PR contact, [redacted]. Your cooperation in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ron Mitchell
Senior Vice President, Corporate Marketing

Stay tuned as we bring you the latest in the Fujitsu vs. Apple in the iPad name wars.

Create a new thread in the US News comments forum about this subject
This thread is closed for comments
29 comments
    Your comment
    Top Comments
  • Socnom
    iPad wars, its bloody!
    28
  • Sihastru
    iPad iTurns iInto iBloody iWar? iBring iIt iOn! iApple iHas iA iHistory iOf iStealing iProduct iNames. iMaybe iThis iWill iMake iThem iChange iIt... iIt iWas iA iSilly iName iAnyway.
    16
  • halcyon
    Perhaps Apple will be forced to give the device an...appropriate name, something along the lines of... iSlate or something else decent.
    12
  • Other Comments
  • Socnom
    iPad wars, its bloody!
    28
  • halcyon
    Perhaps Apple will be forced to give the device an...appropriate name, something along the lines of... iSlate or something else decent.
    12
  • JonathanDeane
    If not the iPad what will Apple call its new device?

    Maybe the ipad could be the iPod Max. It kind of looks like a giant iPod touch to me...
    7