Date:                January 29, 201

From:                FAI MARCO

To:                    ALL- FAI Employee

Subject:            Apple’s iPad Announcement

Dear colleagues,

On January 27, 2010, Apple launched a much-anticipated touch screen tablet computer product named the iPad.  As many of you know, Fujitsu has been marketing a product named “iPad” for years as a mobile retail appliance.  As this product is currently owned by Fujitsu Frontech North America (FFNA), they are the primary organization dealing with Apple over this trade market issue.

It has come to our attention that some teams are receiving queries regarding this issue and FFNA has asked that the following statement be used in response to such inquiries:

"Fujitsu is aware of Apple’s iPad announcement and the possible infringement on our trademark, which has been in use in connection with Fujitsu mobile retailing computer products since 2002.  We are currently discussing our options with our trademark counsel and have no further comment at this time."

If you receive media/press requests for comments, please forward the inquiries to the FFNA PR contact, [redacted]. Your cooperation in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ron Mitchell
Senior Vice President, Corporate Marketing

Stay tuned as we bring you the latest in the Fujitsu vs. Apple in the iPad name wars.

Discuss
Display all 29 comments.
This thread is closed for comments
Top Comments
  • 28 Hide
    Socnom , February 1, 2010 3:28 PM
    iPad wars, its bloody!
  • 16 Hide
    Sihastru , February 1, 2010 3:42 PM
    iPad iTurns iInto iBloody iWar? iBring iIt iOn! iApple iHas iA iHistory iOf iStealing iProduct iNames. iMaybe iThis iWill iMake iThem iChange iIt... iIt iWas iA iSilly iName iAnyway.
  • 12 Hide
    halcyon , February 1, 2010 3:36 PM
    Perhaps Apple will be forced to give the device an...appropriate name, something along the lines of... iSlate or something else decent.
Other Comments
  • 28 Hide
    Socnom , February 1, 2010 3:28 PM
    iPad wars, its bloody!
  • 12 Hide
    halcyon , February 1, 2010 3:36 PM
    Perhaps Apple will be forced to give the device an...appropriate name, something along the lines of... iSlate or something else decent.
  • 7 Hide
    JonathanDeane , February 1, 2010 3:38 PM
    If not the iPad what will Apple call its new device?

    Maybe the ipad could be the iPod Max. It kind of looks like a giant iPod touch to me...
  • 16 Hide
    Sihastru , February 1, 2010 3:42 PM
    iPad iTurns iInto iBloody iWar? iBring iIt iOn! iApple iHas iA iHistory iOf iStealing iProduct iNames. iMaybe iThis iWill iMake iThem iChange iIt... iIt iWas iA iSilly iName iAnyway.
  • 7 Hide
    darkknight22 , February 1, 2010 3:48 PM
    Lawyers make me want to shoot someone. Good thing there's an app for that.
  • 8 Hide
    husker , February 1, 2010 3:56 PM
    Where is the corresponding Apple memo announcing that there is no announcement?

    Also... be careful Apple, Fujitsu knows Jujitsu. :)
  • 1 Hide
    rooket , February 1, 2010 4:00 PM
    Welp all they gotta do is rename it. I'm not attached to the iPad name and it isn't out yet. Good to see one company is letting a large company know before they release a product and before litigation these days. Respect to Fujitsu for that.
  • 2 Hide
    JamesSneed , February 1, 2010 4:02 PM
    Hrm maybee they will rename it to the ipon? Apple, can you toss in Pi-Fi whith the new model? Thanks.

    Seriously someone is going to fight Apple for the use of iPad? Really? If I were Apple I would use this as a good excuse to rename the product to iTablet or something that doesn' bring up thoughts of menstrual cycles.
  • 0 Hide
    theholylancer , February 1, 2010 4:07 PM
    iPadd ftw, and they have to release a LCARS interface for it

    then damn, I would have to buy the thing, apple or no apple lol
  • 3 Hide
    tenor77 , February 1, 2010 4:10 PM
    Wow even the name isn't original.

    % of the iPad that's new or original? Zero

    SocnomiPad wars, its bloody!

    Win
  • 1 Hide
    twu , February 1, 2010 4:22 PM
    IPHONE was a trademark of Cisco. I am sure Apple will pay their way for the name. People should start putting a option call for AAPL stocks. Going down hill baby...
  • -1 Hide
    ca87 , February 1, 2010 4:30 PM
    Let the fight begin! Apple is in for a lot! Lawsuit, Hacking, malware and more........The biger u get, the more trouble. The days of reckoning IS HERE, Apple.
  • 0 Hide
    hebe , February 1, 2010 4:34 PM
    JonathanDeaneMaybe the ipad could be the iPod Max.

    I think you meant iPod Maxi?
  • 4 Hide
    back_by_demand , February 1, 2010 4:42 PM
    Sadly, Apple will win as media hype has no associated the name with the product so much that they own it by default.
    Exactly the same as the iPhone, stolen from Cisco.
    If I were Fujitsu I would not agree to an out of court settlement and force Apple to rename.
    Someone has to take a stand.
    If you count slang and region distinctions there are nearly 750,000 words in the English language.
    Put an "i" in front of all of them, remove all the ones that are already taken and pick one, in order to also get iPad the same as Fujitsu, considering previous fubars on product naming, points at this being deliberate. Just how hard can it be to look up a list of all registered trademarks begining the letter "i" and find a word not already used?

    iFuckwit (SICK TO DEATH)
  • 5 Hide
    foxyg , February 1, 2010 4:50 PM
    Idiot also starts with an I.
  • 2 Hide
    bydesign , February 1, 2010 5:46 PM
    I don't even think that itards, are going to buy this thing, it sucks.
  • 3 Hide
    grieve , February 1, 2010 6:54 PM
    They should have called it what it is...

    "Large ipod"
  • 0 Hide
    Blessedman , February 1, 2010 8:16 PM
    lol iDiot
  • -1 Hide
    geoffs , February 1, 2010 8:33 PM
    Good luck Fujitsu. iPad is so close to iPod that it could be considered confusing and infringing on iPod. Given that Apple's pattern of iNames was already well established in electronics when Fujitsu initially introduced their iPad, Fujitsu has a difficult road ahead. And all of that ignores the fact the Fujitsu doesn't even have a trademark on iPad yet, someone else had it before them. All Fujitsu has is an application for a trademark, for a product that they've been selling for 8 years, which MIGHT actually infringe on the registered trademark for "iPad" and/or Apple's iPod.

    All of that aside, I still think Apple should change the name, "iPad" is just lame. Who cares if Fujitsu or the registered owner of iPad sell iPads?
  • 1 Hide
    knowom , February 1, 2010 8:39 PM
    Can't wait for Fujitsu to win this one.
Display more comments