How to Wear Google Glass and Not Be a Glasshole

By - Source: Google | B 22 comments

Google has a list of Do's and Don'ts regarding wearing Glass.

Google has made public an etiquette guide for Glass users on the do's and don'ts of using the upcoming wearable tech. The list stems from advice provided by long-time Explorer wearers, as these people are shaping the Explorer community.

"Our Glass Explorer community, which consists of people from all walks of life, actively participates in shaping the future of Glass. With new technology comes new questions, and our Explorers help to answer those questions," Google's guide explains.

One of the funnier entries says not to be creepy or rude (AKA a “Glasshole"). If other people have a question about Glass, be polite and don't get snappy; a quick demo can go a long way. In situations and places where cell phones should be turned off, do the same with Glass. Being rude will not get businesses and individuals excited about Glass.

"Glass was built for short bursts of information and interactions that allow you to quickly get back to doing the other things you love," reads the guide. "If you find yourself staring off into the prism for long periods of time, you're probably looking pretty weird to the people around you. So don't read War and Peace on Glass. Things like that are better done on bigger screens."

Don't wear Glass and expect to be ignored, the guide reads. If wearing Glass during a romantic meal at a restaurant may bring on questions from other diners, place Glass around your neck or take them off completely. As a personal side note, just take Glass off during a romantic meal anyway. Seeing that camera staring back while eating is just rude.

Some of the "Do's" listed on the guide include exploring the world around you, taking advantage of the Glass voice commands, and asking for permission before taking videos or pictures of withers with the camera. Also use a screen lock.

"If you ever lose your device or have it stolen by a budding online resale entrepreneur, you can turn off Glassware and perform a remote wipe (e.g. factory reset) of the device, removing all your information from the device," reads the guide. "All you need to do is go to your MyGlass page on your browser, or the MyGlass App on your phone."

To read the full list of Do's and Don'ts, head here. Google Glass is expected to go retail sometime this summer.

Display 22 Comments.
This thread is closed for comments
Top Comments
  • 12 Hide
    digitalvampire , February 19, 2014 3:01 PM
    "How to Wear Google Glass and Not Be a Glasshole." Simple. Take them off.
Other Comments
  • 7 Hide
    booyaah , February 19, 2014 2:56 PM
    I bet cops will love seeing you with one of these after they pull you over.
  • 12 Hide
    digitalvampire , February 19, 2014 3:01 PM
    "How to Wear Google Glass and Not Be a Glasshole." Simple. Take them off.
  • 5 Hide
    bmwman91 , February 19, 2014 3:17 PM
    There have been a couple of parties with coworkers and friends of my wife where someone will show up wearing the glasses. The second they walk in, you see their smug expression as they seem to be convinced that the whole room, let alone anyone, gives a shit. "Yeah, I am in the Glass Explorer program. I KNOW people." Most people pretend to be mildly interested and anyone that tries them on is totally underwhelmed but pretends to be impressed because giving an honest assessment to the techie-hipster that owns them would feel too much like kicking an annoying little yap dog...maybe the dog deserves it, but it's just a little dog that doesn't know any better so kicking it is just sort of cruel.Then as soon as the glass-douche bails on the party, everyone can openly say how dumb they thought the glasses, and their owner, were. I am actually heartened by the fact that the majority of people seem to respond negatively to this product. It gives me some glimmer of hope for humanity's future.
  • 5 Hide
    mapesdhs , February 19, 2014 4:23 PM
    I'm not sure why so many are being negative about this technology.
    It's little different to various gizmos portrayed in Hollywood movies
    which at the time were regarded as cool, eg. the tech in Minority Report.

    Besides, people said the same negative things about mobiles 20 years ago.
    Look where we are now. Ditto the Walkman and any number of clothing
    styles when they first appeared.

    Fashions change, things move on. What was once considered bizarre
    becomes the norm years later. As soon as some big name celebs start
    using Glass, or they show up in a popular movie, attitudes will change.
    These things all move with mass opinion, and that's never a constant.

    Irony is, some of the most useful applications of Glass may be in the
    industrial/commercial sector rather than the consumer space, such as
    rescue workers, police, fire, medical, environmental, engineering,
    maintenance, mining, space sciences, etc. A device that provides data
    I/O & coms with voice recognition while keeping one's hands completely
    free is potentially extremely useful to a wide variety of people.

    IMO it's a rather peculiar response to belittle this device so early in its
    development based purely on personal opinions of fashion & style, and
    I bet many would change their mind in a heartbeat if the majority opinion
    didn't agree with their current negative view. Doubly so if one is only
    thinking about its possible uses from an entertainment perspective.

    Read your comment a decade from now, that'll be the real test.

    Btw, given current events in Kiev, imagine this future scenario: protestors
    can film what is happening in front of them, communicate with fellow
    activists, etc., while having both hands free to do whatever physical
    actions are required in front of them - building barricades, etc. Would
    also mean vast numbers of video clips available for use as evidence
    against illegal acts by police, etc. Just one example. Think about Glass
    from a non-entertainment angle and its possible uses are just endless.

    Glass is only the first product of its kind. Think back to what the first
    reasonably viable commercial aeroplane was like, the early commercial
    services of the 1920s, compare to what we have today with global
    air travel. Gadgets like Glass will evolve too, become more powerful,
    more flexible, etc. Could a passenger in 1925 have imagined Concorde
    or the 777? Who knows what 2nd or 3rd generation Glass devices will
    allow one to do? I suspect they will be welcomed openly by those in
    future civil rights actions & protests.

    Ian.

  • -1 Hide
    drwho1 , February 19, 2014 4:31 PM
    Free Glasshole of Water, please. /sarcasm
  • -1 Hide
    jscynder , February 19, 2014 5:21 PM
    First thing I plan on doing with google Glass? throwing it at the nearest idiot in the room.
  • 1 Hide
    mapesdhs , February 19, 2014 5:35 PM
    Quote:
    First thing I plan on doing with google Glass? throwing it at the nearest idiot in the room.

    QED. :\

    Ian.

  • 4 Hide
    bmwman91 , February 19, 2014 5:56 PM
    Quote:
    Read your comment a decade from now, that'll be the real test.
    A decade from now, my previous comment will read like some sort of backward-looking technophobic silliness. Everyone will be plugged into something like Glass. It is inevitable.My issue, and many people's issue really, is not that Glass is useless. It has tremendous potential for meaningful applications. The issue is that it is going to end up being the next evolution of instant gratification entertainment. TV, smartphones and Glass all have legitimate uses and can better humanity if used wisely. Instead, they are primarily big sources of brain-drain intended to get people hooked on them to ensure eyeballs are available for ads. People ARE the product with these things. Many people already treat their phones like electronic pacifiers, and Glass is just going to be the next evolution of that, making total-entertainment even more effortless. Cheap, effortless entertainment with 24/7 availability is bad for people because people are notoriously bad at moderating pleasure-consumption. I am sure that a Glass-like product will find acceptance in industrial and medical settings, but the real money maker is going to be getting people to treat this like an appendage that they cannot part with. Google is a business like any other, and their goal is to make money. All sorts of companies claim to have a "higher" goal than profit, but it's incredibly naive to believe any of them. I don't accuse Google of TRYING to make people dumber with glass, but if Glass is to be profitable, that will be the consequence. I hold the same criticisms for TV networks and various social media platforms. So do many others. It won't stop something like Glass from becoming the norm like smartphones have, but not everyone thinks that this fits the definition of "progress." It's hard to define it, but endless low-quality entertainment and the encouragement of narcissism don't seem to fit in there. They ARE incredibly profitable though, and we live in a society where profit is GOD.
  • 3 Hide
    schultzter , February 19, 2014 6:15 PM
    Judging by the accompanying photos I was expecting number one to be "Do be a hot babe/dude that can get away with anything with a coy smile."
  • 0 Hide
    typicalGeek , February 19, 2014 9:47 PM
    I can't wait to start seeing people wearing these. I'll take the opportunity to walk up to them and test out the voice circuits by saying, "glass, display nude pictures of Ernist Borgnine".
  • -7 Hide
    quantumsupport , February 20, 2014 12:18 AM
    Google is always with the people, off the people and by the people. Slowly but surely google glass is gaining popularity among us and such type of initiative should be taken. Good job Google.
  • -1 Hide
    d_kuhn , February 20, 2014 5:00 AM
    Interesting that writers are talking about 'looking out a decade'. I think if you look out a decade you'll find that these devices will have legal limits placed on their ability to record. I'd think if google had just added an LED hard wired to the camera so that people would know when it was recording then most of the complainers you currently see talking about how "we'll ban it in our establishment" would disappear. The problem I see is that when I see someone trying to record strangers in public I immediately assume they're a creeper... so if you don't know if a glass user is recording... the automatic assumption... creeper... and who wants that sort of person in your bar/restaurant?
  • 0 Hide
    bloodroses75 , February 20, 2014 7:01 AM
    How not to be a glasshole? Don't use them as an excuse to get out of a speeding ticket... http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/16/tech/innovation/google-glass-ticket-dismissed/ . Also, don't use to take pictures of peoples credit cards while someone is purchasing in a supermarket... http://www.policymic.com/articles/29585/3-new-ways-google-glass-invades-your-privacy .
  • 0 Hide
    Kruelness , February 20, 2014 7:29 AM
    Want to always look like a glasshole? Just wear our Google glass, everyone will be looking at you and thinking, god I'm glad I don't look like that idiot. So if you starve for attention then this is the product for you. Have a great day ya glasshole!
  • 2 Hide
    rwinches , February 20, 2014 8:19 AM
    They don't fold, their battery life sucks and users get headaches from eyestrain.Now we will start seeing the effects of distracted walking worse than the early days of Sony Walkmans.
  • 1 Hide
    mapesdhs , February 20, 2014 11:23 AM

    bmwman91 writes:
    > ... The issue is that it is going to end up being the next evolution of instant gratification entertainment. ...

    Sadly you're right on that point for sure. It's always the way with any new tech, can't be avoided I suppose.

    Hopefully though, any bad publicity from that sort of thing will not make it harder to exploit Glass for
    more useful & sensible applications.

    > Glass is just going to be the next evolution of that, making total-entertainment even more effortless. ...

    If Glass becomes too much a product dominated by ads, etc., somebody else will make a rival
    device that operates in a different way, assuming there is sufficient demand.

    > ... Cheap, effortless entertainment with 24/7 availability is bad for people because people are
    > notoriously bad at moderating pleasure-consumption. ...

    Reminds me of Leslie Winkle's comment in BBT about the lab rat and the orgasm button. :}

    > maker is going to be getting people to treat this like an appendage that they cannot part with. ...

    Sadly that's probably not that hard to do given the way people already behave with modern phones.

    rwinches writes:
    > ... Now we will start seeing the effects of distracted walking worse than the early days of Sony Walkmans.

    No different than the way lots of people today end up in accidents because their portable device earphones
    prevent them from hearing an oncoming car or a shouted warning about some pending peril. Happens all
    the time, but nobody really cares anymore. Even worse are the vast numbers of idiots who cross a road
    while gawping at their phones, completely ignoring the traffic flow, etc.

    d_kuhn writes:
    > ... I think if you look out a decade you'll find that these devices will have legal limits placed on their ability
    > to record.

    That will depend greatly on one's location in the world. I can imagine it becoming very restrictive in the US,
    given the way laws are progressing over there, but I expect it'll remain fairly open in much of Europe. Besides,
    unless the device has a physical block that prevents recording somehow, I can't see how any laws could be
    enforced. Beyond a certain point, expecting the legal system to control how these devices are used is just
    too impractical, though won't stop many nations from clamping down in whatever way they can.

    Ian.

  • 1 Hide
    capt_taco , February 20, 2014 12:16 PM
    How not to be a Glasshole: Don't go everywhere shouting "Hey! Look at me! Hey! HEY! I SAID EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME!"Wait, never mind. You're wearing them, so that's already what you're doing.
  • 0 Hide
    bmwman91 , February 20, 2014 2:18 PM
    Quote:
    mapesdhs:Sadly that's probably not that hard to do given the way people already behave with modern phones.
    Thumbs-up for having a good discussion.<br>As with almost anything, this can all really boil down to a philosophical debate about the meaning of life. What does it mean to be human? Why are we here? If we could find the answer to those questions (not even the right one, just one that was universally agreed upon), we could then define "progress" and work unilaterally toward it.<br>Stephen Hawking has postulated that humans will inevitably take direct control of DNA and integrate themselves with technology to become cybernetic beings (in a century or two given our current rate of development). He has also said that that transformation would be met with a lot of resistance, despite its inevitability. I think he is right.<br>Maybe I am just too attached to our biological form as it is now, but I get worried by the idea of growing more dependent on technology because it can dull and weaken us if it isn't used responsibly. But, that is all predicated on my view that people should be self-reliant and capable in their own physical form. Too much integration with the virtual world created by technology seems to rob us of the experience of being alive, as arbitrary as such a thing may be.<br>If history is any indicator, we will simply continue to build technology that replaces more and more of the functions we do ourselves with people like me kicking and screaming. I just hope that it is the "right" choice for us to be making as a species. We won't know if it is "right" until we answer the big questions at the beginning of this post...in which case, we may never know!
  • 1 Hide
    bmwman91 , February 20, 2014 2:20 PM
    And for god's sake, how do you get the comments on here to properly make new lines? Asking for an edit button may be too much, but the parser could at least allow the CR-LF character!
  • 0 Hide
    toastybatch565 , February 20, 2014 3:33 PM
    I feel like glass is a nice thing, but it isn't being properly marketed. It needs to be more marketed toward people that do things rather than tech hipsters with too much time on their hands. It should be marketed toward flight attendants and tsa for added security, journalists for easier filming, possibly a rugged version for soldiers and bmx/snowboarders to wear, police officers, those people.
Display more comments