Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in

iPhone 5 Helps iOS Beat Android on U.S. Smartphones

By - Source: Kantar Worldpanel | B 30 comments

Google's platform, however, dominates worldwide market.

During the 12 weeks ending on October 28, Apple's iOS accounted for a 48.1 percent smartphone market share in the United States, with Google's Android settling for 46.7 percent.

However, elsewhere, iOS isn't as popular as its fellow ecosystem. According to research firm Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, Android was running on 73.9 percent of all smartphones in Germany during the period in question. Android dominated in Spain as well with a 81.7 percent share.

Apple's success in the U.S., meanwhile, was due to the iPhone 5, Kantar said. The company noted that the last time iOS had a higher market share than Android was when the iPhone 4S launched last year.

While other reports suggest otherwise, Apple has benefited greatly from customer loyalty. Kantar said 92 percent of consumers who own an iPhone will upgrade to another Apple smartphone.

As for overall worldwide share in the smartphone market, Android accounts for 75 percent (90 percent in China), while iOS settles for 14.9 percent.

 

Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback

Discuss
Ask a Category Expert

Create a new thread in the News comments forum about this subject

Example: Notebook, Android, SSD hard drive

This thread is closed for comments
Top Comments
  • 20 Hide
    dark_knight33 , December 3, 2012 3:23 AM
    It's easy to make it look like "loyalty", when in fact it's just Apple's main focus to keep you locked into their 'ecosystem'. Everything about an Apple device tries to force you to do it their way or f*** off. I broke free after the 3GS, and I've never looked back. I don't hate people who use iPhones, but I do pity the ones that won't try other things because they live a too sheltered mobile device life.
  • 19 Hide
    dark_knight33 , December 3, 2012 4:18 AM
    otacon72Was with RIM for the better part of a decade. Tried Android for a week...that was long enough. Went back to RIM. Tried the iPhone5 and have been happy ever since.


    "Android" can be very different experience from phone to phone. HTC (Sense), Samsung (Touchwiz), Motorola (Blur), and others. There are complete launcher replacements that satisfy anyone's needs. They even have an iOS clone launcher: http://lifehacker.com/5850644/espier-launcher-faithfully-duplicates-the-ios-home-screen-on-android.

    What does iOS have? iOS. Android represents choice & responsibility. It's not as easy for everyone to use off the bat as iOS seems to be. I found it pretty easy to switch between, and Android not much more complicated. However, I also realize I'm more inclined to technology and learning it. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to have to learn a new mobile OS. It's being afraid to switch because you might lose you music, contacts, and info that is the problem.
  • 17 Hide
    freggo , December 3, 2012 5:09 AM
    So Apple dominates in a market that's 5% of the world population, and looses in the remaining 95%.
    Yeah, sounds familiar.
    Let's see hoe long that fat bank account keep them going.
    I give it 3 years max., then they will be looking for a Steve Jobs type again.
Other Comments
    Display all 30 comments.
  • 15 Hide
    reprotected , December 3, 2012 3:17 AM
    Looking at the rates of the Apple news recently, I'd say they are much too low, but still beats the average Tom's Hardware news article quality. Why hasn't Zak received his promotion yet?
  • 20 Hide
    dark_knight33 , December 3, 2012 3:23 AM
    It's easy to make it look like "loyalty", when in fact it's just Apple's main focus to keep you locked into their 'ecosystem'. Everything about an Apple device tries to force you to do it their way or f*** off. I broke free after the 3GS, and I've never looked back. I don't hate people who use iPhones, but I do pity the ones that won't try other things because they live a too sheltered mobile device life.
  • 19 Hide
    dark_knight33 , December 3, 2012 4:18 AM
    otacon72Was with RIM for the better part of a decade. Tried Android for a week...that was long enough. Went back to RIM. Tried the iPhone5 and have been happy ever since.


    "Android" can be very different experience from phone to phone. HTC (Sense), Samsung (Touchwiz), Motorola (Blur), and others. There are complete launcher replacements that satisfy anyone's needs. They even have an iOS clone launcher: http://lifehacker.com/5850644/espier-launcher-faithfully-duplicates-the-ios-home-screen-on-android.

    What does iOS have? iOS. Android represents choice & responsibility. It's not as easy for everyone to use off the bat as iOS seems to be. I found it pretty easy to switch between, and Android not much more complicated. However, I also realize I'm more inclined to technology and learning it. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to have to learn a new mobile OS. It's being afraid to switch because you might lose you music, contacts, and info that is the problem.
  • 17 Hide
    freggo , December 3, 2012 5:09 AM
    So Apple dominates in a market that's 5% of the world population, and looses in the remaining 95%.
    Yeah, sounds familiar.
    Let's see hoe long that fat bank account keep them going.
    I give it 3 years max., then they will be looking for a Steve Jobs type again.
  • 13 Hide
    john15v16 , December 3, 2012 6:08 AM
    @otacon72...are you really Zak under alias???
  • 7 Hide
    LordConrad , December 3, 2012 6:28 AM
    Why would anyone want an iPhone when they could have a Galaxy, a Note, or a Nexus?
    Anyone?
    Bueller?
  • 6 Hide
    fuzzion , December 3, 2012 8:00 AM
    reprotectedWhy hasn't Zak received his promotion yet?


    Zak did get promoted. His now in charge of Tom's Quality assurance department. WHich also does explain alot.
  • -1 Hide
    Haserath , December 3, 2012 8:02 AM
    Used to have a 3gs. Tried two android devices since then. Wants an iPhone 5.
  • 6 Hide
    Solandri , December 3, 2012 8:28 AM
    freggoSo Apple dominates in a market that's 5% of the world population,

    It's not really dominating in the U.S. This is just a case of cherry picking the time period to include the first month of iPhone 5 sales, while excluding the first two months of Galaxy S3 sales. Normally you compare quarters since they're standard and everyone in the industry uses them. But for some reason this firm decided to compare a time period offset from 3Q by 28 days in a direction favorable to the iPhone. Why Oct 28 (which was a Wednesday, so they're cutting off the data in the middle of a business week)? Who knows. If you're going to compare something that isn't 3Q, wouldn't monthly sales be a more logical timeframe?

    A similar thing happened the other way with the 3Q numbers, with the Galaxy S3 outselling the iPhone 4. Because it included the second month of S3 sales, as well as the 2-3 months when everyone was waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out. But in that case it was just coincidence because that's how the releases fell relative to 3Q.
  • 4 Hide
    dominik78 , December 3, 2012 8:52 AM
    HaserathUsed to have a 3gs. Tried two android devices since then. Wants an iPhone 5.


    I'm a hardcore android fan, but I don't see a reason why anyone should have voted this guy's statement down. Had to vote it back up to 0.
  • 4 Hide
    halcyon , December 3, 2012 9:22 AM
    I can't say I care whether or not iOS is more popular in the US than Android. ...as long as I have a choice and can use Android when I want (like now). The iPhone 5 is not hardware I'm interested in having and Android is clearly the better mobile OS to me despite all of its fragmentation and the fact that you have to spend time customizing it on your device to make it usable and useful. The choice in Android handsets has made the iPhone completely undesirable to me. The folks in China realize this and my fellow US citizens will catch up...one day.
  • -1 Hide
    kartu , December 3, 2012 10:59 AM
    Don't be zakislamed guys.
    One can't change market share during several month.
    In the best case he's talking about sales in the recent weeks.
  • 0 Hide
    wemakeourfuture , December 3, 2012 11:05 AM
    freggoSo Apple dominates in a market that's 5% of the world population, and looses in the remaining 95%.Yeah, sounds familiar.Let's see hoe long that fat bank account keep them going.I give it 3 years max., then they will be looking for a Steve Jobs type again.


    The US is the largest market for high end smartphones. ie. ones that cost at least $300-$350 USD.
    Having ~50% in a market that probably accounts for close to 33-40% of all high end smartphones is not 5%.

    Considering they will make about 40-45 billion in profits for the 2012 calendar year seems your '5%' isn't so small...

    Also, if you look at laptop and desktop sales Apple only accounts for 10% of sales. Now you think wow that's small and PCacciunt for 90% so Apple is really small. Do not forget the 90% is split close to ten ways (Acer, Asus, Lenovo, HP, Dell, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, etc.) so Apple as a computer maker is a big as the largest PC maker. Same will be true for smartphones and tablets eventually.

    Apple's revenues and profits will not have the same rate of increase and the company's market value (stock) will decline probably starting the downward trend in 2013.

    This is coming from an Apple investor since 2007 and someone who likes using iOS devices over other competitors.

    Apple is simply repeating what happened in the 80's. introduce new products for consumers but eventually lose significant market share to replicators (then it was Windows and their license structure for Windows) now it's Android and Google's license structure.

    This becomes evident in the iPad market share. The tablet space is growing significantly year over year but Apple's market share is falling. They are still increasing revenue and profits at a high level since volume is increasing to more than offset the lose in market share. Eventually markets mature and the small market share prevents signifant growth (stock will fall).

    In 3 years I project a $300-$400 stock a significant drop. Apple in the short term will probably be close to $700 and then drop down.
  • 1 Hide
    wemakeourfuture , December 3, 2012 11:14 AM
    halcyonI can't say I care whether or not iOS is more popular in the US than Android. ...as long as I have a choice and can use Android when I want (like now). The iPhone 5 is not hardware I'm interested in having and Android is clearly the better mobile OS to me despite all of its fragmentation and the fact that you have to spend time customizing it on your device to make it usable and useful. The choice in Android handsets has made the iPhone completely undesirable to me. The folks in China realize this and my fellow US citizens will catch up...one day.


    You are wrong about China. They cannot afford the iPhone. The average Chinese income is 10X less than their American counter. The Chinese want an iPhone as do Indians and Brazilians by the millions but they cannot afford it. An iPhone or S3 represent close to 14% of their annual Gross Income. That's the same as an American paying roughly $5500 for a phone. Not going to happen for most people. But people in China want an iPhone just cannot afford it. The Demand curve for iOS devices is incredibly high in China. Profits for Apple is quite high in China too.

    The 90% Android devices in China are not the S3, Galaxy Note, DNA, Optimus G etc. they are cheap knock off Chinese android phones that are no where near those flagship phones. You know like those $50-$80 cheap android tablets same thing but for phones.
  • 0 Hide
    Anonymous , December 3, 2012 11:28 AM
    This is merely episode 2: The Evil Empire Strikes Back. And we all know what will happen in episode 3: Return of the Jelly Bean.
  • 2 Hide
    digiex , December 3, 2012 11:32 AM
    Again, This article is paid for by Apple.
  • 0 Hide
    masterasia , December 3, 2012 12:20 PM
    HaserathUsed to have a 3gs. Tried two android devices since then. Wants an iPhone 5.


    Which phones did you try?

    I'm trying not to be biased here but I have also had bad experiences with Android. The Galaxy Nexus won me over. If it wasn't for the pure Google experience, I would have chosen iOS. Nowadays, it looks like the only the high end phones will provide users with good experience. If you're new to Android, don't even bother with the crappy phones.
  • 1 Hide
    brushrop03 , December 3, 2012 12:35 PM
    People are always saying that Android is too complicated. It's not. It just has more options/flexibility with what you can do with it.
  • 1 Hide
    amdwilliam1985 , December 3, 2012 1:14 PM
    masterasiaWhich phones did you try? I'm trying not to be biased here but I have also had bad experiences with Android. The Galaxy Nexus won me over. If it wasn't for the pure Google experience, I would have chosen iOS. Nowadays, it looks like the only the high end phones will provide users with good experience. If you're new to Android, don't even bother with the crappy phones.


    Totally agree, the only phones in my opinion(for GSM) worth buying are Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S3, Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus.
  • -1 Hide
    ericburnby , December 3, 2012 1:48 PM
    halcyonI can't say I care whether or not iOS is more popular in the US than Android. ...as long as I have a choice and can use Android when I want (like now). The iPhone 5 is not hardware I'm interested in having and Android is clearly the better mobile OS to me despite all of its fragmentation and the fact that you have to spend time customizing it on your device to make it usable and useful. The choice in Android handsets has made the iPhone completely undesirable to me. The folks in China realize this and my fellow US citizens will catch up...one day.

    Do you drive? Have you even used your GS3 in your car yet and discovered the flaw that prevents you from listening to music via the 1/8" AUX jack and trying to use a Bluetooth hands free device? Two of the most popular functions and the GS 3 can't even perform them without forcing you to buy an external adaptor or dock. Meanwhile, other Android phones don't have this problem and neither do iPhones.
Display more comments