ioSafe Goes on Indiegogo to Fund Disaster-proof NAS/RAID
ioSafe wants you to pitch in to make its next "private cloud" NAS RAID box.
ioSafe, which you may know as a provider of disaster-proof data solutions (especially if you recall the CES stunts with guns and electricity), is launching a new product in 2013 – but this time it's crowdfunding through Indiegogo.
Call the ioSafe N2, the network attached storage (NAS) is powered by Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) aimed at the SOHO, SMB and Remote Office Branch Office (ROBO) markets. ioSafe is pitching the product as a "private cloud" for those who want to secure their data without a third party's help.
Hardware specs for the N2 are:
- DUAL DRIVE RAID 1 REDUNDANCY: Drives are hot swappable and automatically synchronize data between drives to protect against data loss due to hard drive failure.
- FIRE: Protects against data loss in a fire, up to 1550°F for 30 minutes per ASTM E119
- WATER: Protects against data loss from water, full immersion, 3 days, 10 feet in fresh water or salt water.
- THEFT: Kensington Lock Slot. Optional floor mount / padlock kit coming Q1 2013.
- CPU Frequency : 2.0 GHz
- Memory : DDR3 512 MB
- Max Internal Capacity : 8 TB (2 X 4 TB 3.5" SATA HDD) (Effective Usable Capacity of 8TB RAID 1 is 4TB)
- External HDD Interface : USB 3.0 X 2, USB 2.0 X 1, SD Card X 1
- Size (HxWxD) : 6" x 9" x 12"
- Weight : 28 lbs
- LAN : Gigabit X 1
- Wake on LAN/WAN
- Standard Warranty : 1 Year
- Data Recovery Service (DRS): DRS for Diskless version is sold separately during registration standard. 1 year DRS included for all ioSafe N2 products loaded with disks from the factory.
- DRS and Warranty upgradable to a maximum of 5 years at ioSafe.com during DRS activation.
Established businesses aren't the typical fare on Indiegogo, but ioSafe chose to go that route in order to get the N2 to market quicker.
“As a privately held small business, Indiegogo allows us to jump past typical startup funding models and rapidly accelerate this ambitious product to market,” said Robb Moore, ioSafe CEO.
The ioSafe N2 will begin shipping during January 2013 and will be available in capacities up to 8TB. Introductory pricing for the ioSafe N2 diskless version will start at $599.99. Like ioSafe’s other products, the N2 will be backed the ioSafe Data Recovery Service and No Hassle Warranty.
Check out the full details on the Indiegogo page (plus a video that's clearly inspired by Apple).