Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in

Crucial Reveals Memory for New Mac Pros

By - Source: TechPowerUp | B 15 comments

Crucial has revealed new RAM memory for Apple's all-new Mac Pro systems.

Crucial is among the first to announce aftermarket memory for Apple's new Mac Pro systems. The memory is designed with high-density in mind, and will come in capacities of up to 16 GB per DIMM.

The memory modules run at a frequency of 1866 MHz, and have ECC and SDP support.

"Mac Pro computer users frequently handle large datasets across a very broad range of applications, and often they need to do this simultaneously which can slow down their systems. This is when having an abundance of DRAM available is most beneficial, since it will help drive productivity to new levels," said Michael Moreland, worldwide DRAM product marketing manager, Crucial. "Our modules are extensively tested at both the component and module level to guarantee a premium quality product specifically designed for the new Mac Pro workstations. This enables Crucial to deliver memory with the highest densities and fastest speeds, all guaranteed to work at optimum levels in their Mac Pro system."

The DIMMs will come with a lifetime warranty and are already available through Crucial. The 32 GB kit (2x 16 GB) will set you back $439.00.

Display 15 Comments.
This thread is closed for comments
  • 1 Hide
    Mrbusdrv , December 23, 2013 9:51 AM
    "RAM memory"? Seriously?
  • 4 Hide
    chuckydb , December 23, 2013 10:02 AM
    Mac memory...
    That means regular Ram, but with a high price, am I right?
  • -1 Hide
    john768 , December 23, 2013 10:05 AM
    Reminds me of the Mac specific 7950's that came in white and had a reference cooler and had a $250 premium on the after market cooled ones.
  • -1 Hide
    DroKing , December 23, 2013 10:24 AM
    smart move on their part. if apple can milk it then so can rest of them ;)  what a genius move!
  • 4 Hide
    amk-aka-Phantom , December 23, 2013 10:52 AM
    Quote:

    Mac memory...
    That means regular Ram, but with a high price, am I right?


    Not quite. First, any RAM like this WILL be more costly than what we use for gaming rigs: ECC support is only enabled in workstation/server targeted RAM and comes with an extra price. Mac Pros are, after all, marketed as workstations and are equipped with workstation hardware (Xeons, ECC RAM and so on).

    However, it *is* sane to assume that it WILL cost more than "normal" ECC 1866 MHz RAM from the same brand without a "for Mac" tag. Happens every time.

    Quote:

    Reminds me of the Mac specific 7950's that came in white and had a reference cooler and had a $250 premium on the after market cooled ones.


    Not just the 7950s. I've checked Mac Pro configs back when they had 5870s and it cost TWICE the price of an actual 5870 to add one more to the config. Blatant ripoff, again, happens every time.

    Don't get me wrong, Mac Pros are nice workstations and all (if you don't know the difference between WS/server hardware and gaming/consumer hardware - i.e. Xeon, FirePro, Quadro, ECC RAM etc vs desktop gaming cards, i7s and so on - then go learn it first) but they cost nearly twice of what the hardware inside them is worth. If you want to pay double just for looks (which, IMO, are pathetic compared to NZXT Phantom and Switch and H-series cases), go ahead, but please be conscious that you are wasting resources (money) just because you CBA to have a "huge box" under your desk. Please custom-build and give the second half of the money to charities if you got extra to throw around, don't feed greedy insolent "premium" brands.
  • -3 Hide
    rwinches , December 23, 2013 4:45 PM
    If I spent Mac money I would not buy this ugly memory.

    Still love my activity LEDs on my Corsair XMS sticks
  • -1 Hide
    rwinches , December 23, 2013 4:49 PM
    They look like this:
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/CorsairXMS3500LL/
  • -3 Hide
    therealduckofdeath , December 23, 2013 4:58 PM
    @amk-aka-Phantom

    Go to crucial.com. Compare the price difference between regular RAM and ECC RAM. It's negligable. ECC is nothing but regular RAM with a parity bit. They come from the same plants and have the same hardware failure rate. They just have a safety against single bit errors. So yeah, charging $200 extra on standard RAM prices for a mid-range 1.866GHz module is... Well, typical Apple stuff. :) 
  • 0 Hide
    halcyon , December 23, 2013 9:44 PM
    I would like to have a new Mac pro
  • 0 Hide
    photonboy , December 23, 2013 11:09 PM
    I'll get the $9000 new Mac Pro just for SteamOS, and 64GB of DDR3 memory is a must-have.
  • 0 Hide
    warezme , December 24, 2013 5:16 PM
    Other than overpriced what's the big deal? I was expecting them to be shaped like a semi-circle.
  • -1 Hide
    scooterboi , December 24, 2013 7:30 PM
    Sooo, i got a challenge for you all-knowing-toms-commenter, build me a 12 core xeon workstation that equals the new mac pro maxed configs with less price.

    How long will you guys still in denial? This new macpro are actually the best bang for the buck on workstation market. Inb4 hurrdurr trashcan.
  • -3 Hide
    therealduckofdeath , December 25, 2013 4:17 AM
    @scooterboi

    http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/precision-workstations
    http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations/z230.html
    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/workstations/thinkstation/workstation/

    ...and pretty much any other manufacturer of workstations. First of all, Apple workstations are pretty low-end compared to what you get from any other brand. Second of all, any other brand will let you scale a workstation up to really big configurations if you need that for a single user. Those are the reasons the above three brands sit on around 95% of the Workstation market shares.

    The only, and I mean only, reason you buy a Mac Pro is because you don't understand what a workstation is.
  • 0 Hide
    scooterboi , December 27, 2013 1:09 AM
    @therealduckofdeath
    the dell one, maybe their website is currently having an error and cant be configure to 12core, but their starting point is already higher than the macpro
    the hp one priced 10 grand despite only having 16gb ram, and NO VIDEO CARD
    the Lenovo one soared up to 20k when configured to 12c xeon with dual mid-end quadro

    so you failed the challenge bro, try again.
    Quote:
    Compare the price difference between regular RAM and ECC RAM. It's negligable. ECC is nothing but regular RAM with a parity bit. They come from the same plants and have the same hardware failure rate. They just have a safety against single bit errors.
    ahhh I see, you definitely "know" what a workstation is. /s/

  • 0 Hide
    therealduckofdeath , December 30, 2013 11:09 AM
    Quote:
    @therealduckofdeath
    the dell one, maybe their website is currently having an error and cant be configure to 12core, but their starting point is already higher than the macpro
    the hp one priced 10 grand despite only having 16gb ram, and NO VIDEO CARD
    the Lenovo one soared up to 20k when configured to 12c xeon with dual mid-end quadro

    so you failed the challenge bro, try again.
    Quote:
    Compare the price difference between regular RAM and ECC RAM. It's negligable. ECC is nothing but regular RAM with a parity bit. They come from the same plants and have the same hardware failure rate. They just have a safety against single bit errors.
    ahhh I see, you definitely "know" what a workstation is. /s/



    Let me guess, you're picking the biggest Dell Workstation case and compares it with a Mac that cannot fit even a 4th of the hardware you can squeeze into that Workstation case? Try again mate.

    If you don't believe me regarding what Unbuffered ECC RAM is, look it up. I've been working with servers for more than fifteen years.