The Samsung Galaxy S4 is a smokin' phone
Last week, YouTube user GhostlyRich posted a video to the video sharing site claiming his Samsung Galaxy S4 had caught fire. GhostlyRich, real name Richard Wygand, said that he didn't do anything out of the ordinary with his phone. He plugged the device in to charge via a Samsung-issued charger and went to sleep. He woke up to smoke and saw that the phone's charging port, case, and back plate were melted.
Wygand said that his provider, Rogers, told him to take the phone back to Samsung. Before it would replace the phone, Samsung apparently asked for proof in the form of a video. Unfortunately, it seems Samsung would rather not share that proof with the rest of the world. Wygand posted his video proof to YouTube and sent a link to Samsung. Now, Samsung says it will only replace the device if Wygand takes his video down and promises not to discuss the incident any further.
The letter, which has been posted to PasteBin, also prohibits Mr. Wygand and his family from talking about the settlement or pursuing further action relating to the incident. Samsung has not commented on Wygand's decision to release the letter.
Released in the spring of this year, the Galaxy S4 was unveiled at Mobile World Congress in March. It packs a quad-core CPU, Adreno 320 graphics, a 5-inch display, 2 GB of RAM, up to 64 GB of storage and a 2600 mAh Li-ion battery.