These Were Sinofsky's Final Words to Microsoft Employees

By - Source: Tom's Hardware US | B 30 comments

Gotta love that Surface RT commitment.

Microsoft's former Windows boss is now no longer a part of the world's largest software company. Here is his letter to all Microsoft employees (via WinSuperSite).

From: Steven Sinofsky
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 6:42 PM
To: Microsoft - All Employees (QBDG)
Subject: RE: Windows Leadership Changes

With the general availability of Windows 8/RT and Surface, I have decided it is time for me to take a step back from my responsibilities at Microsoft. I’ve always advocated using the break between product cycles as an opportunity to reflect and to look ahead, and that applies to me too.

After more than 23 years working on a wide range of Microsoft products, I have decided to leave the company to seek new opportunities that build on these experiences. My passion for building products is as strong as ever and I look forward focusing my energy and creativity along similar lines.

The Windows team, in partnerships across all of Microsoft and our industry, just completed products and services introducing a new era of Windows computing. It is an incredible experience to be part of a generational change in a unique product like Windows, one accomplished with an undeniable elegance. Building on Windows, Surface excels in design and utility for a new era of PCs.   With the Store, Internet Explorer, Outlook.com, SkyDrive and more, each of which lead the way, this experience is connected to amazing cloud services.

It is inspiring to think of these efforts making their way into the hands of Microsoft’s next billion customers. We can reflect on this project as a remarkable achievement for each of us and for the team.  Our work is not done, such is the world of technology, and so much more is in store for customers.
It is impossible to count the blessings I have received over my years at Microsoft. I am humbled by the professionalism and generosity of everyone I have had the good fortune to work with at this awesome company. I am beyond grateful.

I have always promised myself when the right time came for me to change course, I would be brief, unlike one of my infamous short blog posts, and strive to be less memorable than the products and teams with which I have been proudly and humbly associated.   The brevity of this announcement is simply a feature.

Some might notice a bit of chatter speculating about this decision or timing.  I can assure you that none could be true as this was a personal and private choice that in no way reflects any speculation or theories one might read—about me, opportunity, the company or its leadership.

As I’ve always believed in making space for new leaders as quickly as possible, this announcement is effective immediately and I will assist however needed with the transition.

I am super excited for what the future holds for the team and Microsoft.

With my deepest appreciation,

Steven Sinofsky

Sent from Surface RT

Discuss
Display all 30 comments.
This thread is closed for comments
Top Comments
  • 22 Hide
    enzed , November 13, 2012 1:31 PM
    I understand where Sinofsky is coming from with this letter, but the fact that he left a month after the release of W8 is just too much of a coincidence to ignore.
  • 21 Hide
    Anonymous , November 13, 2012 1:52 PM
    Jump before this ship sinks. Smart guy.
  • 19 Hide
    Skeete_UK , November 13, 2012 1:30 PM
    Sent from Surface RT ... nice touch
Other Comments
  • 19 Hide
    Skeete_UK , November 13, 2012 1:30 PM
    Sent from Surface RT ... nice touch
  • 22 Hide
    enzed , November 13, 2012 1:31 PM
    I understand where Sinofsky is coming from with this letter, but the fact that he left a month after the release of W8 is just too much of a coincidence to ignore.
  • 0 Hide
    dr-hoads , November 13, 2012 1:45 PM
    Not sure what to believe, but I think that it was nice that he saw win8 and surface to completion. I think it is WAY to early to tell if they are a failure or not. Surface PRO is not even out yet, and I am going to buy me one of those!! :-)
  • 8 Hide
    djscribbles , November 13, 2012 1:48 PM
    enzedI understand where Sinofsky is coming from with this letter, but the fact that he left a month after the release of W8 is just too much of a coincidence to ignore.

    If he left during the development of Surface RT, that would be too much to ignore. More likely, he's gone through a lot to deliver the product; with the completion of a big task, you have to ask what's next...

    It may simply be that he's flippin' rich now, and would like to spend more time with his family rather than chase after more money.
  • 21 Hide
    Anonymous , November 13, 2012 1:52 PM
    Jump before this ship sinks. Smart guy.
  • 5 Hide
    georgefrommanagement , November 13, 2012 2:00 PM
    Personally I think he was going for the CEO position back when Gates retired, and decided to stay and release windows 8 when he didn't get it. Coordinating the entire windows division is probably just as hard as running a medium sized company. He probably felt qualified
  • 19 Hide
    Devoteicon , November 13, 2012 2:39 PM
    djscribblesIt may simply be that he's flippin' rich now, and would like to spend more time with his family rather than chase after more money.

    Apple: That makes no sense.
  • 0 Hide
    aracheb , November 13, 2012 3:02 PM
    dont find it weird if you see him hired as new Apple Chief on product development or even CEO
  • 4 Hide
    slabbo , November 13, 2012 3:41 PM
    arachebdont find it weird if you see him hired as new Apple Chief on product development or even CEO

    Well, he does wear that dark sweater well...
  • 1 Hide
    damianrobertjones , November 13, 2012 3:42 PM
    enzedI understand where Sinofsky is coming from with this letter, but the fact that he left a month after the release of W8 is just too much of a coincidence to ignore.

    He's apparently quite an aggressive guy so he would have cracked skulls during the run up to the WIN 8 release... it probably got noticed.
  • 0 Hide
    bllue , November 13, 2012 3:56 PM
    He finished with the development of W8 and Surface, it'd seem like the perfect chance get out and give the opportunity to someone else to continue on to the next project.
  • 2 Hide
    Prey , November 13, 2012 4:03 PM
    slabboWell, he does wear that dark sweater well...

    I'm willing to bet that there is a non-compete clause some where that would induce a lawsuit of some kind.
  • -1 Hide
    therogerwilco , November 13, 2012 4:27 PM
    The guy has done well, now he's going to be able to sit back and watch the times of Surface. Move over Ipad, you had your day, and it ended with Jobs.
  • 18 Hide
    noblerabbit , November 13, 2012 4:41 PM
    OH god, oh dear god, I can't even fathom correcting Windows 8 now that it's out, what is this crap?

    I better quit now.

    -Signed,
    Sinner of Sky.
  • -2 Hide
    donsagrott , November 13, 2012 5:27 PM

    ( http:// sospep.com/view/article?id=549#content )

    > AND windows 7 IS Microsoft's most successful os of all time
    - 670 million licences sold (and counting)

    > and now the leader of the windows pack, the guy in charge of it all, has either jumped ship or was pushed overboard
    - rumour has it that Steve's personality was less than "warm and fuzzy" and that he was all for collaboration (as long as you agreed to do it his way)

    > likely not someone you would enjoy working for ..
    - BUT if you look at the success of the divisions he lead, i am sure "the board/shareholders/..." would have loved him (his results)

    > i am sure he will see him re surface soon !!
    - I understand that their is a job opening over at apple os division

    ps @noblerabbit re: resignation letter
    - too funny, best one ive seen yet!
  • 8 Hide
    Thomas Creel , November 13, 2012 6:09 PM
    hes just trying to leave while windows is on top
  • 9 Hide
    olaf , November 13, 2012 6:24 PM
    i would have picked a better product to end my run with, windows 8 is not even if it makes it on the tablet market.
  • 0 Hide
    gm0n3y , November 13, 2012 7:47 PM
    As someone that works in the software industry (albeit not at the management level), I can understand leaving after a major product launch. Sometimes finishing a product just takes so much out of you that you need some time off or at least a change of scenery. I've spent 6 months working 6-7 days a week, 10-16 hours a day on one project. Once its done you may not relish the prospect of starting it all over again on the next version. Of course it has also been my experience that most people in management hardly ever put in more than 40 hours/week.
  • 1 Hide
    zubikov , November 13, 2012 8:04 PM
    Let's look at incentives. The guy in charge of launching all Windows up to Win XP owned the company, still holds a good minority chink of it in stock and came away the richest man in the world.

    The man in charge of releasing Vista through Win 8/RT holds about 30M in stock and probably made about the same in his tenure in the firm.

    Yes, they're both rich. But Sinofsky has had much less skin in the game than Gates. In addition, he had a jackass boss worth about 200x more who nearly screwed up everything Sinofsky worked for. Why would we expect the same groundbreaking products from him? The incentives just weren't there.
  • 2 Hide
    Anonymous , November 13, 2012 9:20 PM
    Sinofsky Is OUT on patch Tuesday! It is going to take more than a simple patch to fix that mess that is Windows 8 and that interface formerly known as METRO!
Display more comments