uTorrent Announces Plans for Special 'Sponsored Torrents'

By - Source: TorrentFreak | B 25 comments

uTorrent is introducing sponsored content to give revenue a boost.

Filesharing client uTorrent has quietly announced plans to change the way it pulls in revenue. TorrentFreak reports that the company last week revealed plans to introduce sponsored content into users' torrent lists. Specifically, users will soon start seeing a featured torrent at the top of their torrents list. uTorrent says this spot will be used to offer a variety of different types of content and that the site is working towards "bringing [users] offers that are relevant to [them]."

"You are all very familiar with how we have paid the bills so far. These new changes mark our next step towards finding that difficult balance between keeping our lights on and providing a positive user experience," uTorrent said in an announcement.

"This new build will display a featured torrent at the top of your torrent list. This featured torrent space will be used to offer a variety of different types of content.  We are working towards bringing you offers that are relevant to you. This means films, games, music, software...basically anything that you will find interesting. We may not get it right on the first try but we will continue to improve our efforts based on your feedback."

TorrentFreak reports that these sponsored torrents promoting content from advertisers will also be used for important updates and to promote artists. What you see will vary depending on your location (determined via your IP). The sponsored torrents cannot be switched off but users will be able to 'click away' individual ads.

It's thought BitTorrent's main motivation for the change is increasing revenue, though TF cites a source that puts annual revenue at somewhere between $15 and $20 million.

Follow @JaneMcEntegart on Twitter.

Contact Us for News Tips, Corrections and Feedback

Display 25 Comments.
This thread is closed for comments
Top Comments
  • 15 Hide
    booyaah , August 14, 2012 6:28 PM
    Would be funny to see an ad:

    'Download MS Office 2013'
    * looks down at active torrents *
    Currently Seeding MS Office 2013

    'oops'
Other Comments
  • 15 Hide
    booyaah , August 14, 2012 6:28 PM
    Would be funny to see an ad:

    'Download MS Office 2013'
    * looks down at active torrents *
    Currently Seeding MS Office 2013

    'oops'
  • 0 Hide
    desidude006 , August 14, 2012 6:36 PM
    Newsgroups all the way!
  • 0 Hide
    freggo , August 14, 2012 7:00 PM
    desidude006Newsgroups all the way!

    did not know Usenet was still active :-)
  • 5 Hide
    danwat1234 , August 14, 2012 7:12 PM
    So what is the latest version of utorrent without sponsored torrents and without the banner ads? 3.1.2?
    I suspect most people who get annoyed at this will just revert back to an older version and disable update checking.
  • 6 Hide
    mrmaia , August 14, 2012 7:13 PM
    That's why I stick to Bittorrent. Their ads are almost unnoticeable.

    Now will any content be downloaded to your computer without permission?
  • 7 Hide
    paulimur , August 14, 2012 7:15 PM
    uTorrent uninstalled...
  • 9 Hide
    mrpijey , August 14, 2012 7:20 PM
    paulimuruTorrent uninstalled...

    Agreed, µTorrent isn't very "µ" anymore with its bloatware and buggy junk. I can't even use their new versions since it drops the speeds to about 0.01% of the original speed. Completely useless.

    Anyone got any recommendations for a new slim, fast and bloatware-free client?
  • 2 Hide
    paulimur , August 14, 2012 7:23 PM
    mrpijeyAgreed, µTorrent isn't very "µ" anymore with its bloatware and buggy junk. I can't even use their new versions since it drops the speeds to about 0.01% of the original speed. Completely useless.Anyone got any recommendations for a new slim, fast and bloatware-free client?

    I am trying out deluge - so far so good.
  • 0 Hide
    cwolf78 , August 14, 2012 7:25 PM
    I have not experienced any problems with uTorrent. The only annoying thing is how often it updates if you have beta updates enabled. Otherwise I haven't noticed any performance fall-offs or bugs.
  • 0 Hide
    inerax , August 14, 2012 7:29 PM
    Wonder if they are going to see a current proxy ip.... get some good ads that are not for me.
  • 5 Hide
    cRACKmONKEY421 , August 14, 2012 7:40 PM
    Transmission > µTorrent
    µTorrent is bloated adware these days. Transmission runs on my router without needing a computer to be on. Transmission FTW
  • -1 Hide
    the_crippler , August 14, 2012 7:42 PM
    mrpijeyAnyone got any recommendations for a new slim, fast and bloatware-free client?

    On my Linux box I use Ktorrent, and Vuze on the Windows machine.
  • 5 Hide
    Pennanen , August 14, 2012 7:48 PM
    the_cripplerOn my Linux box I use Ktorrent, and Vuze on the Windows machine.

    He asked for a bloatware-free client and you list Vuze. I dont even...
  • -2 Hide
    the_crippler , August 14, 2012 7:55 PM
    PennanenHe asked for a bloatware-free client and you list Vuze. I dont even...

    Yes, and I also said Windows, which is totally bloat-free, right? Relax - I just stated what I use. Ktorrent is what I use 99% of the time.
  • 5 Hide
    wavetrex , August 14, 2012 7:57 PM
    Why not simply use older version 2.2.1 ?
    All the 3.x branch is total crap. Nobody forces you to "upgrade"
  • 3 Hide
    mrpijey , August 14, 2012 9:34 PM
    I am using 2.2 but it has some annoying bugs. Thanks for all the tips tho, I will be trying out Deluge and see if it's any good. As for µTorrent it's banned in my systems now...

    the_cripplerYes, and I also said Windows, which is totally bloat-free, right? Relax - I just stated what I use. Ktorrent is what I use 99% of the time.

    Well, Windows may not be lightweight no, but that doesn't mean I want to add more bloatware to it :) . Vuze is absolutely a no-go as it makes the newest µTorrent look light weight in comparison :) .

  • 1 Hide
    nonoitall , August 14, 2012 9:53 PM
    mrpijeyAnyone got any recommendations for a new slim, fast and bloatware-free client?

    qBittorrent is currently my client of choice -- lightweight, cross-platform, open source and actively developed.
  • -2 Hide
    RADIO_ACTIVE , August 14, 2012 10:16 PM
    Yuck
  • 3 Hide
    eddieroolz , August 14, 2012 10:19 PM
    uTorrent deviates further and further away from the awesome, lightweight client it once was. It's a shame, really.
  • 0 Hide
    Nintendo Maniac 64 , August 15, 2012 1:14 AM
    Halite is a pretty good light-weight alternative torrent client - heck it's almost TOO light on the features.
Display more comments