Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in

Wolfenstein Released in Germany Without Nazi References

By - Source: BGR | B 34 comments
Tags :

Wolfenstein will be releasing in Germany for the first time... without Nazis.

The Wolfenstein franchise will be releasing for the first time in Germany with Machine Games's The New Order with one difference: every trace of Nazism in the game will be removed.

Wolfenstein has historically never been released in Germany because it's centered on the player fighting the Nazi regime. As a result, the game is riddled with Nazism. However, the series has never been able to set foot in Germany, because German law forbids the use of any Nazi symbolism. To prevent Wolfenstein from releasing in Germany, PC releases of the games have always been geo-locked.

"In Germany, we've removed all Nazi symbols and references. Unlike films and other works of art, video games in Germany are forbidden to use such symbols and references as they are classified in Germany as toys and not media art," states Bethesda head of PR Pete Hines.

Nazis in The New Order will be not-so-subtly replaced with The Regime.

Discuss
Add your comment Display all 34 comments.
Top Comments
  • 21 Hide
    cpatel1987 , May 21, 2014 6:41 PM
    Sounds like the bigger concern is the categorization of video games as a toy rather than media art.
  • 16 Hide
    catswold , May 21, 2014 6:31 PM
    Bet there will be a lot of black market copies of the regular release sold there.
  • 13 Hide
    dstarr3 , May 21, 2014 7:53 PM
    Don't mention the war!
Other Comments
  • 16 Hide
    catswold , May 21, 2014 6:31 PM
    Bet there will be a lot of black market copies of the regular release sold there.
  • 21 Hide
    cpatel1987 , May 21, 2014 6:41 PM
    Sounds like the bigger concern is the categorization of video games as a toy rather than media art.
  • 1 Hide
    Matt Nelson , May 21, 2014 7:18 PM
    I laugh when I see stuff like this... Not sure why, ultimately it's not funny, maybe it's to keep it surface level and cheapen all angles...... lol
  • 0 Hide
    squirrelboy , May 21, 2014 7:49 PM
    Quote:
    Sounds like the bigger concern is the categorization of video games as a toy rather than media art.

    Toys and games are things you play (with). You don't play with art or movies.
    I think that that's the reasoning behind the catogarization.
  • 13 Hide
    dstarr3 , May 21, 2014 7:53 PM
    Don't mention the war!
  • 1 Hide
    Amdlova , May 21, 2014 7:57 PM
    now we have in germany stalin troops! muahaha
  • 2 Hide
    kyee7k , May 21, 2014 7:57 PM
    Nazis, Nazi Germany, Hilter, etc. are particularly very sensitive subjects within Germany.
  • 2 Hide
    mrmez , May 21, 2014 8:05 PM
    Don't mention the war.
    I did once or twice, but I think I got away with it.
  • 6 Hide
    catswold , May 21, 2014 8:31 PM
    Quote:
    Don't mention the war.
    I did once or twice, but I think I got away with it.


    BASIL! Behave yourself.
  • 9 Hide
    megiv , May 21, 2014 9:46 PM
    How they expect to avoid the mistakes of the past if they are ignoring their history ? Not a smart move, to say the least.
  • 6 Hide
    Alec Mowat , May 21, 2014 9:52 PM
    It's stupid. It's only stupid because any idiot with a computer can do a 2 second search on Google and find out their Nazi's.
    Germany; no kid who plays videogames really understands what a Nazi is. They will never (hopefully) see the horrors of war. Most of them grew up after the Berlin Wall fell. Just let them believe that Nazi's are some evil group of people that exist outside the laws of reality, like all North American children do.
  • 8 Hide
    ohim , May 21, 2014 11:15 PM
    Why should it be sensitive subject? Are they trying to close their eyes and say the nazzi and Hitler never happened ? It doesn`t change the history ... be a man and accept the history.
  • 4 Hide
    Interocitor2 , May 21, 2014 11:47 PM
    Quote:
    Why should it be sensitive subject? Are they trying to close their eyes and say the nazzi and Hitler never happened ? It doesn`t change the history ... be a man and accept the history.

    This is NOT some kind of history revisionism or something like that. Every schoolkid in germany has multiple history lessons about naziism, the holocaust, WWI, WWII etc. The law is to prevent neonazis from using nazi paraphernalia in public. But where do you draw the line in respect to the swastika? (the law has to be somewhat strict and specific to prevent loopholes) German law says: art is ok the rest is not.
  • 0 Hide
    JUICEhunter , May 21, 2014 11:58 PM
    It's just a legal version based on German law, without removing all the Nazi stuff they would not be able to sell the game legally. The original version was never released in Germany because they did not have this workaround at the time. I get it that you are killing Nazis but like Interocitor2 said, they have to be strict or else people would utilize loopholes.
  • 3 Hide
    virtualban , May 22, 2014 2:29 AM
    Quote:
    Bet there will be a lot of black market copies of the regular release sold there.

    Black market, or a certain bay... :) 
  • 0 Hide
    invisibilian , May 22, 2014 3:30 AM
    They simply replaced Nazi german soldiers with the Japanese. if they run into trouble japan, they can just swap it back.:) 
  • 1 Hide
    ddpruitt , May 22, 2014 4:31 AM
    First
    Quote:
    Wolfenstein has historically never been released in Germany because it's centered on the player fighting the Nazi regime.


    Isn't correct. Wolfenstein 3D (1991) wasn't released and then removed from the market in Germany. Subsequent games including Wolfenstein (2009) were released in Germany with the Nazi symbolism removed, including Wolfenstein 3D.

    Second I'm willing to bet that most of the people on this board taking issue or making light of the subject come from the United States. This ban on displaying Nazi symbols except for limited purposes is written into the German constitution. The relevant section was written in large part by the US Army after the second World War.

    And this is basically a "Well duh" article. Every video game ever released in Germany has the Nazi symbolism removed not sure why it's worth an article, look at video or screenshots of the original Medal of Honor, COD, or Battlefield 1942 from Germany.
  • 2 Hide
    catswold , May 22, 2014 5:10 AM
    Quote:
    First
    Quote:
    Wolfenstein has historically never been released in Germany because it's centered on the player fighting the Nazi regime.


    Isn't correct. Wolfenstein 3D (1991) wasn't released and then removed from the market in Germany. Subsequent games including Wolfenstein (2009) were released in Germany with the Nazi symbolism removed, including Wolfenstein 3D.

    Second I'm willing to bet that most of the people on this board taking issue or making light of the subject come from the United States. This ban on displaying Nazi symbols except for limited purposes is written into the German constitution. The relevant section was written in large part by the US Army after the second World War.

    And this is basically a "Well duh" article. Every video game ever released in Germany has the Nazi symbolism removed not sure why it's worth an article, look at video or screenshots of the original Medal of Honor, COD, or Battlefield 1942 from Germany.
    In their defense, very few American students are taught history to that depth anymore. The "boomer" generation was probably the last to be taught much about WWII in any depth and even then rarely in such detail.

    I wasn't aware that that little factual gem--I knew it was a long-standing, severely enforced restriction, but not that it was in the constitution.

  • 1 Hide
    TheAshigaru , May 22, 2014 6:37 AM
    Most video games I can think of opt to use the de-nazified German Cross symbol. Company of Heroes and Battlefield 1942 both did this in the US versions. The modding community will usually create skins with more historically accurate vehicle markings and camouflage patterns, as well as uniforms for the soldiers.
  • 0 Hide
    StarBound , May 22, 2014 6:47 AM
    Atleast now I finally understand why the games were banned.
Display more comments
React To This Article