Silent drives and a respectable price-value proposition helped Samsung to establish a well-known reputation. It is the only manufacturer that has recently entered the 3.5" hard drive market and been successful with it.
The SpinPoint T133 stores 133 GB per platter, and is available in sizes up to 400 GB. The drive works comfortably silently, and doesn't get warmer than 45°C (113°F), making it one of the coolest candidates to go through our test lab so far.
However, its ergonomics and the bargain price (starting at $ 130) take a toll on performance: the SpinPoint's access time of 15 ms is significantly higher than the usual 13 to 14 ms of today's drives. The maximum data transfer rate of 78 MB/s is high, though.
- More To Store: 10 New Hard Drives Compared
- Meet The Devourers: Music, Photos, Videos, And Games
- Choose Or Lose: Which HDD Is Right For You?
- System Hard Drives: Faster, Faster!
- Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600 AAJS, 160 GB SATA
- Western Digital Raptor WD740 ADFD
- All-arounders At A Reasonable Price
- Samsung SpinPoint T133 HD401LJ: 400 GB SATA
- Storage Giants: 500 GB+ And For 24/7 Operation
- Samsung SpinPoint T166 HD501LJ, 500 GB SATA
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ES, 750 GB: The 24/7 Monster
- For Upgrades: UltraATA Drives
- Technical Data Compared
- Benchmark Results
- Data Transfer Diagrams, Continued
- Average Access Time
- I/O Performance