Gamers and enthusiasts are always on the lookout for crème de la crème hardware. It's easy to pick winning CPUs and graphics cards; less so for PSUs. We put four 80 PLUS Gold devices from Antec, FSP, Seasonic, and SilverStone under the magnifying glass.
We've previously tested PSUs from FSP, but none of them featured the design or innovation to really impress us. But now, with its new Aurum series, the manufacturer aims to be a player in the high-end PSU segment. First impressions are pretty convincing. Modern design is coupled with a housing that has a nice texture, thanks to it rough-coated surface. The unique shape of the ventilation slots (FSP calls this a feature and dubs it Arrow Flow; we see what it did there), is also pretty sharp-looking. Whether the airflow is, in fact, optimized is another story.
Unlike the other test candidates, FSP deliberately chooses not to integrate a modular cable solution. The reasons, according to the manufacturer, include a very price-sensitive market segment and efficiency improvements attributable to hard-wired cables. While the length of the cables themselves seem generous, the number of available connections is downright miserly compared to the competition. Along with the ATX motherboard cable and a pair of +12 V processor leads, FSP includes four PCIe cables, seven SATA connectors, and four Molex ports, as well as one floppy lead. AMD certifies this PSU with its CrossFireX technology.
The AU-700 has four 12 V rails, each of which delivers up to 18 A and together can output a maximum load of 672 W.
|AC Input||100-240 V, 50-60 Hz|
|DC Output||+3.3 V||+5 V||+12 V (#1)||+12 V (#2)||+12 V (#3)||+12 V (#4)||-12 V||+5 Vsb|
|28 A||28 A||18 A||18 A||18 A||18 A||0.5 A||3.5 A|
|Individual Output||6 W||17.5 W|
|Rail Utilization||Sys||Sys||CPU & VGA|
|Combined Output||160 W||672 W|
|Total Continuous Output||700 W|
|Peak Output||750 W|
- 80 PLUS Gold Versus Mass-Produced Generics
- Antec High Current Pro HCP-850
- Measurements: Antec High Current Pro HCP-850
- FSP Aurum Series AU-700
- Measurements: FSP Aurum Series AU-700
- Seasonic X-760
- Measurements: Seasonic X-760
- SilverStone Strider Gold SST-ST75F-G
- Measurements: SilverStone Strider Gold SST-ST75F-G
- Test Configuration, Holdup Time, Inrush Current, Peak, And Short-Circuit Test
- Efficiency (According To 80 PLUS Spec), Temperature, And Standby
- Efficiency (Based On Performance Profiles)
- Conclusion And Recommendations