We've previously tested PSUs from FSP, but none of them featured the design or innovation to really impress us. But now, with its new Aurum series, the manufacturer aims to be a player in the high-end PSU segment. First impressions are pretty convincing. Modern design is coupled with a housing that has a nice texture, thanks to it rough-coated surface. The unique shape of the ventilation slots (FSP calls this a feature and dubs it Arrow Flow; we see what it did there), is also pretty sharp-looking. Whether the airflow is, in fact, optimized is another story.
Unlike the other test candidates, FSP deliberately chooses not to integrate a modular cable solution. The reasons, according to the manufacturer, include a very price-sensitive market segment and efficiency improvements attributable to hard-wired cables. While the length of the cables themselves seem generous, the number of available connections is downright miserly compared to the competition. Along with the ATX motherboard cable and a pair of +12 V processor leads, FSP includes four PCIe cables, seven SATA connectors, and four Molex ports, as well as one floppy lead. AMD certifies this PSU with its CrossFireX technology.
The AU-700 has four 12 V rails, each of which delivers up to 18 A and together can output a maximum load of 672 W.
|AC Input||100-240 V, 50-60 Hz|
|DC Output||+3.3 V||+5 V||+12 V (#1)||+12 V (#2)||+12 V (#3)||+12 V (#4)||-12 V||+5 Vsb|
|28 A||28 A||18 A||18 A||18 A||18 A||0.5 A||3.5 A|
|Individual Output||6 W||17.5 W|
|Rail Utilization||Sys||Sys||CPU & VGA|
|Combined Output||160 W||672 W|
|Total Continuous Output||700 W|
|Peak Output||750 W|
- 80 PLUS Gold Versus Mass-Produced Generics
- Antec High Current Pro HCP-850
- Measurements: Antec High Current Pro HCP-850
- FSP Aurum Series AU-700
- Measurements: FSP Aurum Series AU-700
- Seasonic X-760
- Measurements: Seasonic X-760
- SilverStone Strider Gold SST-ST75F-G
- Measurements: SilverStone Strider Gold SST-ST75F-G
- Test Configuration, Holdup Time, Inrush Current, Peak, And Short-Circuit Test
- Efficiency (According To 80 PLUS Spec), Temperature, And Standby
- Efficiency (Based On Performance Profiles)
- Conclusion And Recommendations