GeForce 8400GS Graphics Recycled
From a feature standpoint there is little difference between AMD’s 780G and the GeForce 8200/8300. Both are DirectX 10.0 parts with Shader Model 4.0 support. Nvidia utilized the core of the GeForce 8400GS (G86) to create the new nForce… excuse me: mGPU. Like AMD’s counterpart, the GeForce 8200 and the 8300 run at a graphics processor clock speed of 500 MHz, but with a 1.2/1.5 GHz stream processor speed.
PureVideo HD: Less CPU Load, More Power
I already mentioned that AMD’s 780G required slightly less power to decode and decrypt Full HD video, adding 22 W to the system idle power. Although our GeForce 8200 test system, based on an ASRock K10N78FullHD hSLI, was slightly more efficient in idle, playing Full HD video added 25 W to the idle power of 58 W. However, Nvidia’s average CPU utilization was slightly lower, reaching 34% on average when playing FullHD video as opposed to AMD’s 35%. Clearly, the difference is small.
While AMD’s 780G supports HDMI 1.3a and even Display Port, Nvidia hasn’t implemented Dolby True HD or DTS-HD. Yet the platform supports HDMI 1.3a and HDCP over DVI-D or HDMI. However, as with AMD, you cannot use two digital display outputs at the same time, as the two video controllers were designed for the D-Sub port and one of the digital outputs. The display options get more complex once you include an additional GeForce graphics card.
- Hybrid Graphics Platforms to Fire Up Multi-GPU Rendering?
- The Rebirth of Multi-GPU Graphics
- AMD 780G Chipset: PCIe and SB700
- AMD 780G Chipset: Flexible Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
- AMD 780G Chipset: Video, Power and Block Diagram
- ASRock A780FullDisplayPort
- ASRock A780FullDisplayPort Details
- ASRock A780FullDisplayPort Utilities
- Nvidia GeForce 8200/8300 mGPU
- GeForce 8200 Graphics with PureVideo HD
- GeForce 8200: Hybrid SLI Saves Power, Boosts Performance
- ASRock K10N78FullHD hSLI R3.0
- ASRock K10N78FullHD hSLI Details
- Chipset Comparison Table
- Test System and Benchmark Setup
- Benchmarks: Vista Experience Index and Synthetic Benchmarks
- Benchmarks: Audio/Video
- Benchmarks: Application Benchmarks
- Benchmarks: 3D Games
- Benchmarks: SYSmark 2007 Preview
- Power Consumption
- Performance per Watt Analysis
- Blu-ray Playback