Using both an AGP 8X and a PCIe graphics card at a time is a possible application scenario with this chipset. With the reference board, we had to stick to some installation recommendations made by VIA. These require that one install the graphics cards one after the other, rather than plugging both in for the initial start. While we were not able to boot up Windows using two GeForce 6600 GT graphics cards, we had better luck with ATI's X800 models.
Please note that using two graphics card will have no impact on performance, positive or negative. Thus, the main purpose for installing two graphics adapters simply is to enable multi-monitor support. Using two dual display capable cards, four monitors can be operated (see images).
- VIA Arming PT880 Pro Chipset For P4 Upgrade Business
- PT880 Pro Chipset Details
- Still To Come: PT894 Pro With Dual PCI Express
- VIA PT880 Pro Reference Motherboard
- VIA PT880 Pro Reference Motherboard, Continued
- Multi Display Support Using AGP And PCIe
- Asus P5GD2 With Intel 915P
- Asus P5GD2 With Intel 915P, Continued
- Test Setup
- Benchmark Results
- DirectX 8