Built specifically to play games, neither of these machines was intended to be a workhorse. Enthusiasts looking to balance gaming and more taxing desktop tasks will want to increase their budgets a bit and seek out a Core i5 or FX, at least.
Nevertheless, when we run our complete benchmark suite, we continue to see AMD's overclocked Athlon putting up a fight in threaded tests like FineReader and 3ds Max. Other factors come into play with the Blender and Visual Studio tests, where higher clock rates and optimized memory performance help, but still land the Athlon behind a stock Core i3.
- Presenting Our New Budget Gaming PC
- CPU And Cooler
- Motherboard And Memory
- Graphics Card And Hard Drive
- Case, Power Supply, And Optical Drive
- Assembling Our Gaming Box
- Overclocking Our Budget AMD Platform
- How We Tested Our Budget Gaming PC
- Results: Synthetics
- Results: Audio And Video
- Results: Adobe Creative Suite
- Results: Productivity
- Results: Compression
- Results: Arma 3 And Battlefield 4
- Results: Far Cry 3 And Grid 2
- Power Consumption And Temperatures
- Performance Summary
- Can Less Funding Compete For Top Value?