Battlefield 3 is a very graphics-dependent game, so the results should come down to the horsepower of our Radeon-based graphics cards.
Whoa. The Radeon HD 6950s in CrossFire from last quarter's System Builder Marathon beat the Radeon HD 7970 at every combination of resolutions and settings, except 2560x1600 at Ultra details.
Unfortunately, Skyrim automatically gets patched through Steam. As we discovered yesterday in Paul's story, a patch that appeared between last quarter (when we ran our comparison data) and today affected performance so significantly that we can't compare our two systems in this title. As such the numbers you're about to see don't mean a whole heck of a lot.
- Giving It Up For More Gaming Performance
- CPU, Motherboard, And Cooler
- Video Cards, Power Supply, And Case
- Memory, Hard Drive, And Optical Drive
- Building And Tweaking Around A Radeon HD 7970
- Test System And Benchmarks
- Benchmark Results: Synthetics
- Benchmark Results: Media Encoding
- Benchmark Results: Productivity
- Benchmark Results: Battlefield 3 And Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Benchmark Results: DiRT 3 And StarCraft II
- Power And Temperature Benchmarks
- A Surprisingly Robust Gaming System