With the two EPIA models, Quake III is a non-starter because of the SDRAM. Only with the M9000 with DDR266 and CastleRock did we achieve anything approaching a reasonable performance (640x480, medium texture detail).
This benchmark scales very well and demands good CPU performance. It is obvious that the Eden processor has no chance here and it takes forever to carry out this task. The models with the C3 CPU do better.
Memory performance cannot approach what is possible with the latest Pentium 4 or Athlon systems. One of the reasons for this is the influence of the CPU cache on memory performance.
- Size Matters: Mini ITX Boards Tested
- Form Factors For The Desktop: From ATX To ITX
- VIA Processor On Board
- VIA EPIA/ Eden
- VIA EPIA/ C3
- VIA EPIA-M 9000
- Test Setup
- Test Results
- CPU Load: MPEG-4 Playback DivX/ Fddshow
- CPU Load: MPEG-4 Playback With AC3
- CPU Load: Network Data Transfer
- 3D Benchmark: Quake III Arena
- Conclusion - Is This The Beginning Of A New Generation Of PC Systems?