Of course, we wanted to quantify the claims made in the preceding pages using a number of different installation scenarios. We used an Antec Lanboy Air from one of our earlier case round-ups, making its mesh sides air-tight by covering them with cardboard. The Lanboy Air allows for both top and bottom power supply mounting. The results speak for themselves:
Looking at the exhaust air temperature from the power supply, we see the greatest advantage when it's mounted on the bottom of our test enclosure.
Here we see that systems cooled by downward-facing blowers really benefit from side ventilation.
- Back To Basics On Cooling
- Cooling Theory Made Easy
- Our Test System
- Power Supply: Mounting Location And Chassis Selection
- Airflow: Install Tower Coolers Right-Side-Up
- Airflow: Horizontally-Mounted Tower Cooler
- Airflow: Common Installation Errors
- Airflow: Unique To Downward-Facing Blowers
- Airflow: Hard Drive Cooling
- Airflow: Measurements And Comparisons
- Airflow: Ventilate Graphics Cards Well
- In Anticipation Of Part Two