The Unigine benchmarks are run with full detail settings at a resolution of 1920x1080, with anti-aliasing and sound disabled. Both video cards are using the proprietary Linux drivers. The Windows 7 testing is done with both OpenGL and DirectX. Ambient occlusion and tessellation are disabled in Heaven. Two iterations of each Unigine benchmark are run.
Windows with DirectX tops the Sanctuary benchmarks at 44 FPS, with the OpenGL score much lower at 35 FPS. Fedora and Ubuntu practically tie at around 40 FPS.
In Tropics, Fedora, Ubuntu, and Windows with OpenGL all basically tie for first place at 42 FPS, while Windows with DirectX only earns 33 FPS.
In Heaven, it's Windows 7 with DirectX that again pulls ahead with 44 FPS, while OpenGL on Windows also performs quite well with nearly 42 FPS. Fedora 16 places second at just under 30 FPS and Ubuntu 11.10 falters at the most intense graphical benchmark in the suite, earning just 12 frames per second.
The FPS scores are lower on the Nvidia card in all operating systems. Windows 7 with DirectX takes the lead in Sanctuary and Tropics, followed closely by Fedora. In Heaven, Fedora surprisingly takes the top spot at 46 FPS, followed by Windows 7 with DirectX. Ubuntu consistently gets lower frame rates than the competition in all three Unigine benchmarks using the Nvidia graphics solution.
- A First Look At Fedora And GNOME Shell
- Fedora 16 At A Glance
- Fedora 16 Installation: Phase One
- Fedora 16 Installation: Phase Two
- Repos, Flash, Java, And Codecs
- Graphics, Wi-Fi, And 32-bit Libs
- GNOME 3 And GNOME Shell Basics
- GNOME Shell Desktop, Panel, And Notifications
- GNOME Shell Activities/Overview
- Input Shortcuts, Tips, And Tricks
- GNOME 3 Pros And Cons
- GNOME 3 Tweaks
- GNOME Shell Extensions A-L
- GNOME Shell Extensions M-Z
- Fixing GNOME 3
- Mimicking GNOME 2
- Test System Specs And Setup
- Benchmark Results: Start And Stop Times
- Benchmark Results: File Copy Time
- Benchmark Results: Archiving
- Benchmark Results: Multimedia
- Benchmark Results: System
- Benchmark Results: Unigine, AMD And Nvidia
- Benchmark Results: Games, AMD And Nvidia
- Benchmark Analysis: Fedora Versus Ubuntu And Windows
- Fedora 16: Conclusion
- GNOME 3: Why It Failed
- GNOME 3: Conclusion