All games are run three times with full details enabled at a resolution of 1920x1080.
Ubuntu 11.10 leads the pack in Doom 3 with nearly 250 FPS, followed by Fedora 16 at 200 FPS and Windows 7 at 180 FPS. The placing changes in Prey, with Windows establishing a ten-frame lead over Verne and 14 FPS advantage over Oneiric Ocelot. Fedora owns in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars with a ten-frame lead over Ubuntu and a 40 FPS advantage over Windows.
With the Nvidia card, Windows outperforms both Linux distros in Doom 3 by more than 30 FPS.
The frame rates are higher in Prey compared to AMD's card, and Fedora manages to take the lead at 145 FPS, followed by Windows at 125 FPS and Ubuntu at 114 FPS. Fedora is the only operating system that doesn't suffer a performance drop in Quake Wars with the GeForce GTX 260, earning nearly 130 FPS. Ubuntu claims a second-place victory over Windows by roughly the same margin as the Radeon HD 4870.
- A First Look At Fedora And GNOME Shell
- Fedora 16 At A Glance
- Fedora 16 Installation: Phase One
- Fedora 16 Installation: Phase Two
- Repos, Flash, Java, And Codecs
- Graphics, Wi-Fi, And 32-bit Libs
- GNOME 3 And GNOME Shell Basics
- GNOME Shell Desktop, Panel, And Notifications
- GNOME Shell Activities/Overview
- Input Shortcuts, Tips, And Tricks
- GNOME 3 Pros And Cons
- GNOME 3 Tweaks
- GNOME Shell Extensions A-L
- GNOME Shell Extensions M-Z
- Fixing GNOME 3
- Mimicking GNOME 2
- Test System Specs And Setup
- Benchmark Results: Start And Stop Times
- Benchmark Results: File Copy Time
- Benchmark Results: Archiving
- Benchmark Results: Multimedia
- Benchmark Results: System
- Benchmark Results: Unigine, AMD And Nvidia
- Benchmark Results: Games, AMD And Nvidia
- Benchmark Analysis: Fedora Versus Ubuntu And Windows
- Fedora 16: Conclusion
- GNOME 3: Why It Failed
- GNOME 3: Conclusion