Cranking up the resolution to a reasonable 1024x768 shows a different picture, GeForce shows off its fill rate-muscles and scores well ahead of the competition.
We witness again a well performing GeForce, a failing G400 and Voodoo3 as well as the bad OpenGL-driver of the Rage Fury Pro.
Now Voodoo3 and its Glide can't lose the competing GeForce anymore, but I would have expected GeForce to score better. Is this one of the last proves for the advantage of Glide in some situations ...? It seems quite obvious.
The Facts Behind 3D-Games And A Possible Usage Of Geforce256's Integrated T&L-Engine
|The term CPU-scaling in combination with NVIDIA's new GeForce256 GPU is becoming more and more an object of discussions and speculations. NVIDIA's comments to this topic add to the confusion, claiming that GeForce's 3D-performance is rather independent of the CPU-power, regardless if a K6, a Celeron, a Pentium III or a Athlon is being used. Fact is that games will ALWAYS be depending on CPU-performance, especially in case of complex or multiplayer games, where the CPU has a lot more to do than computing transform and lighting. The bandwidth of the system buses, like memory bandwidth, PCI-bandwidth and AGP-bandwidth are another factor that impacts GeForce just as much as any other 3D-chip without integrated T&L. Nevertheless, GeForce256 can reduce CPU-scaling. Games with complex graphics and rather simple AI and physics benefit greatly from GeForce's T&L-engine and even the other games should at least show a difference in CPU-scaling. Having said that, we should be aware that games have to fulfill some requirements to make usage of an integrated T&L.
- Cube Environment Mapping
- Before We Look At The Benchmarks
- The Benchmark Results - Descent III 640x480
- The Benchmark Results - Descent III 1024x768
- The Benchmark Results - Descent III 1600x1200
- The Benchmark Results - Expendable Demo 640x480
- The Benchmark Results - Expendable Demo 1024x768
- The Benchmark Results - Expendable Demo 1600x1200
- The Benchmark Results - Quake 3 Test 640x480
- The Benchmark Results - Quake 3 Test 1024x768
- The Benchmark Results - Quake 3 Test 1600x1200
- The Benchmark Results - Shogo
- The Benchmark Results - TreeMark
- CPU Scaling