AMD FX-7600P Kaveri Review: FX Rides Again...In A Mobile APU?

Results: Web Benchmarks

With little time to spare, we ran a few Web-based tests on AMD's prototype laptop.

While the scores overwhelmingly favor Intel's Core i7-4702MQ and its efficient CPU architecture, I will go on-record saying that any user sitting in front of either system and browsing the Internet wouldn't notice a difference between them. Where Intel would no doubt pull ahead, indisputably, would be in the threaded tasks we typically run in a CPU review. Those tests require more time, and I'd want a shipping product to look at from AMD, too. Neither of those luxuries were afforded this time around, unfortunately.

Create a new thread in the US Reviews comments forum about this subject
This thread is closed for comments
64 comments
    Your comment
    Top Comments
  • Lord_Kitty
    20% IPC boost with Steamroller? (First page, second picture)

    That's enough for their 8-core chips to catch up or surpass current i5s, right?
    14
  • damric
    Awesome. If it was 5 years ago I would want a laptop and I would want this APU in it.
    11
  • Other Comments
  • damric
    Awesome. If it was 5 years ago I would want a laptop and I would want this APU in it.
    11
  • Ad Hoc
    Are we ever going to get some new CPUs for the AM3+ socket?
    9
  • damric
    Anonymous said:
    Are we ever going to get some new CPUs for the AM3+ socket?


    I sure hope not. North Bridges and HT Link are so 5 years ago.
    1
  • Lord_Kitty
    20% IPC boost with Steamroller? (First page, second picture)

    That's enough for their 8-core chips to catch up or surpass current i5s, right?
    14
  • roymustang
    Rather than posting what we already know will be crappy framerates of recent games I wish that when outlets reviewed iGPUs they used some old games to see how those would run. Nobody buys a mobile APU expecting to use it for Battlefield 4. But people do like running older games on their APUs because those will most likely run decently. It would be nice to see how something like Final Fantasy XI or Knights of the Old Republic would run on this. Final Fantasy XI even has a benchmarking tool called Vana'diel Bench 3.
    8
  • Amdlova
    45w tdp on notebook. i think will we see some 17" + notebooks. don't put on your legs or you fry it!
    -2
  • Sakkura
    Anonymous said:
    Rather than posting what we already know will be crappy framerates of recent games I wish that when outlets reviewed iGPUs they used some old games to see how those would run. Nobody buys a mobile APU expecting to use it for Battlefield 4. But people do like running older games on their APUs because those will most likely run decently. It would be nice to see how something like Final Fantasy XI or Knights of the Old Republic would run on this. Final Fantasy XI even has a benchmarking tool called Vana'diel Bench 3.

    I agree, though it still makes sense to keep one demanding game in the test suite to give perspective on where this hardware stands compared to dedicated graphics cards and high-end CPUs.
    7
  • Saiki4116
    Thanks for including Dota2 Benchmarks. I had experienced FPS drop on my current Laptop(almost dead with i5-450M and HD5470, 1366*768, 4GB RAM) due to overheating, I tried to reduce resolution and tried many configs, but the problem was there.I have let Raptor(AMD 's app) to adjust the profile for Dota2, after that I didn't face the problem.
    4
  • Saiki4116
    So the performance can be equal to i5 M processor.
    4
  • mitcoes16
    I miss 720p testings that is the resolution a clever player would use with this GPUs
    1080p and demanding games are not good benchmarks for this GPUs you must use less demanding games or test lower resolutions It is not the same benchmarking F1s than Nascars or electric cars
    8
  • SteelCity1981
    if you are looking for a budget gaming laptop no doubt the 7600p is a good choice all the way around.
    6
  • cleeve
    Anonymous said:
    Rather than posting what we already know will be crappy framerates of recent games I wish that when outlets reviewed iGPUs they used some old games to see how those would run.


    That's why we used Dota2, Grid2, and WoW... they have low system requirements, and ran fine. ;)
    5
  • Lessthannil
    So... how about that desktop A8-7600...
    4
  • jamez45
    Over at Anand they said the GPU drivers were slightly older, Mantle isn't enabled properly in them. Could be why the numbers between DirectX and Mantle are pretty much the same
    6
  • cleeve
    Anonymous said:
    Over at Anand they said the GPU drivers were slightly older, Mantle isn't enabled properly in them. Could be why the numbers between DirectX and Mantle are pretty much the same


    Mantle only shows an advantage in Battlefield 4 in rare cases, regardless of the driver. The game also requires a ton of VRAM for Mantle to show a gain instead of a loss. I have an in-depth analysis coming soon.

    Having said that, Thief shows impressive gains across the board in Mantle.
    5
  • cleeve
    Anonymous said:
    I miss 720p testings that is the resolution a clever player would use with this GPUs
    1080p and demanding games are not good benchmarks for this GPUs you must use less demanding games or test lower resolutions It is not the same benchmarking F1s than Nascars or electric cars


    We *did* use 720p where the graphics processor couldn't handle it... in Battlefield 4

    The FX-7600P worked fine at 1080p with Dota2, Grid2, and WoW, so why would we lower the resolution?

    I take great pride in testing at real-world settings, and I often lower to 720p when 1080p is too demanding.
    5
  • xenol
    The only thing missing from this that I would find is the real deal breaker: what is the power consumption?
    2
  • h2323
    “AMD is trying to give the impression of fast, responsive performance, and our sample does seem to achieve that.”

    “That top-of-the-line FX-7600P is a completely functional Kaveri APU, with both of its Steamroller modules (four integer cores) and all 512 of its shaders enabled.”

    “While AMD appears confident in the ULV Kaveri's ability to compete against Core i7-4500U, the higher TDP meant we needed to find an Intel-based platform with a comparable thermal ceiling. I tapped the 37 W Core i7-4702MQ within Acer's Aspire V3.”

    37 W Core i7-4702MQ this a 380$ dollar part……….. way more than Kaveri

    No Firestrike score.

    I would prefer different benchmarks.
    0
  • cleeve
    Anonymous said:

    “AMD is trying to give the impression of fast, responsive performance, and our sample does seem to achieve that.”

    “That top-of-the-line FX-7600P is a completely functional Kaveri APU, with both of its Steamroller modules (four integer cores) and all 512 of its shaders enabled.”

    “While AMD appears confident in the ULV Kaveri's ability to compete against Core i7-4500U, the higher TDP meant we needed to find an Intel-based platform with a comparable thermal ceiling. I tapped the 37 W Core i7-4702MQ within Acer's Aspire V3.”

    37 W Core i7-4702MQ this a 380$ dollar part……….. way more than Kaveri

    No Firestrike score.

    I would prefer different benchmarks



    Hi h2323, great to see you again. I took the liberty of erasing your unproductive rhetoric to address your actual concerns:

    1. You've listed the top three quotes with no comments beside them. Not sure what kind of point you're trying to make, there. Does that mean you like them?

    2. AMD didn't provide pricing, so we compared a mobile Core i7 part with similar wattage AS PER AMD's DIRECTION. If you disagree with their decision, I encourage you to contact their PR team.

    3. I can only assume you have no idea what Firestrike is for. As per Futuremark:

    "Fire Strike is a showcase DirectX 11 benchmark designed for today's high-performance gaming PCs. It is our most ambitious and technical benchmark ever, featuring real-time graphics rendered with detail and complexity far beyond what is found in other benchmarks and games today."

    Mobile integrated GPUs are not "high performance gaming PCs". Would you find it valuable to see benchmark results of a slideshow? We wouldn't.

    4. You indicated that you would prefer different benchmarks, but didn't mention which ones, or why?

    Have a great day! :)
    8
  • h2323
    Disregard for AMD strengths and Firestrike was not included because the Intel chip was likely unable to run it.

    Granted most of the tests in that review focus on gaming but AMD's not half bad in everyday tasks. Considering the price of i7-4702MQ, I feel its too expensive to be compared.
    -3