Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L
If we hope to maximize our speed and performance, we need to choose a motherboard that is overclocking-friendly. With a comparable P45 motherboard still out of reach, we chose Gigabyte’s all-solid-capacitor GA-EP35-DSL motherboard. It’s light on features compared to more expensive motherboards, but its proven performance, stability, and design made this P35 motherboard an excellent option for our entry-level system.
Memory : Wintec AMPO PC2-6400
It would have been nice to get 4 GB of memory into the entry-level system, but this would have come at the expense of too drastic a sacrifice elsewhere. Even 2 GB of high-performance memory was out of reach without factoring mail-in rebates into the totals. The attractive price of this 2 GB kit of Wintec AMPO PC2-6400 was just what we needed for this month’s system. This basic RAM has SPD timings of 5-5-5-15 at DDR2 800 speeds and is rated at 1.8 V.
- Making Every Dollar Count
- CPU And Cooler
- Motherboard And Memory
- Graphics Card and Hard Drive
- Case, Power Supply, And Optical Drive
- Test System Configuration And Benchmarks
- Benchmark Results: Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3
- Benchmark Results: World In Conflict, Supreme Commander
- Benchmark Results: Audio/Video Encoding
- Benchmark Results: Applications
- Benchmark Results: Synthetics