Here's a list of all six of our 2007 Holiday Buyer's Guides. To see earlier guides, just click on the appropriate link.
- CPUs, Memory, Motherboards, Coolers, Tom's Hardware, November 1, 2007
- Home and Portable Video, Audio, and Networking, Tom's Guide, November 12, 2007
- Games and Accessories, Tom's Games, November 23, 2007
- Graphics Cards, Peripherals and High-End Desktops, Tom's Hardware, December 4, 2007 (this is it)
- Consoles, Gaming PCs, and Gaming Accessories, Tom's Games, December 12, 2007 (still to come)
- Notebooks, Digital Cameras, and Camcorders, Tom's Guide, December 21, 2007 (still to come)
This installment includes some nice graphics cards to help improve Sarah's look on-screen, along with some other goodies to perk just about any computer up.
Introduction To Part 4
By Ed Tittel
For our fourth installment in this year's Holiday Buyer's Guide, we turn our focus to high-end peripherals and a nifty network server aimed solidly at home and hobbyist users. With the able assistance of our redoubtable site editors at Tom's Games and Tom's Guide, along with our sometime supermodel and full-time editorial coordinator Sarah, we've assembled this latest set of offerings for our interested audience of PC enthusiasts and hardware heavies. Those who charged with the care, feeding, and gifting of such persnickety persons can probably also find some inspiration for their Christmas shopping here as well.
In segment 4, we look at a compact and capable Bluetooth headset, and then go on to examine a couple of capable and capacious 500 GB hard disks along with an expensive but fast, light, and silent solid state disk (SSD). After that, we dig into a peachy wireless USB hub that lets you connect up to 4 USB devices to your notebook or PC without a cable between the hub and the computer it serves. Next, we check out a couple of really keen graphics cards, including a nifty and powerful 8800 GTS as well as snazzy 8600 GT for those on tighter budgets. We follow up with a small, portable device that lets you attach up to three monitors to a notebook or desktop PC, and then describe a very interesting wireless mouse that requires no setup or startup time to become functional. We close out this round with the very first product offering built around the brand new Microsoft Windows Home Server available in North America - namely HP's fabulous and affordable MediaSmart Server.
This latest installment is aimed as those with PCs to build, upgrade, extend, or service. Please read through this list to find something suited for the computer-oriented friends and family on your Christmas shopping list.
- Cardo S-800 Bluetooth Headset: Stick It In Your Ear!
- Hitachi Deskstar E7K500 500 GB Hard Disk
- On the outside, the 7200.10 looks like any other 3.5" hard disk; inside, it's another story...
- SuperTalent SATA25 SSD: The Next Step In Desktop Storage
- IOGEAR Wireless USB Hub & Adapter Kit
- EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320 MB Video Card
- XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX Edition PVT84JUDD3
- Matrox Triplehead2Go: More Screen Real Estate For Your Notebook
- Kensington Ci85m QuickStart Wireless Notebook Mouse
- HP MediaSmart Server