Intel's new quad-core processor still consists of two dual-core processors combined into one CPU package. Wolfdale is actually the codename for the dual-core version, while the quad-core version is called Yorkfield.
With a die area of only 107 mm², Penryn is smaller than a one cent coin.
The Yorkfield die measures 214 mm².
The following table highlights the differences between the old and the new technology, by comparing current quad-core models.
|Penryn QX9650||Conroe QX6850|
|Clock Speed||3.00 GHz||3.00 GHz|
|FSB||333 MHz||333 MHz|
|Cache||2x 6 MB||2x 4 MB|
|Process||45 nm||65 nm|
|Transistors||820 million||586 million|
|Die-Area||214 mm²||286 mm²|
|TDP||130 W||130 W|
An engineering sample of the QX9650.
Nothing has changed on the back. Same number of pins, same pin-out.
This is the CPU we used for all of our benchmarks and tests.
This is how we received our engineering sample from Intel.
The Core 2 Extreme QX9650 that we received from Intel uses the C0 stepping.
While CPU-Z was unable to identify the stepping, Everest had no such problems.
- Revamping The Core 2 Architecture - New Flagship: Extreme QX9650
- New Dielectric Minimizes Leakage Currents
- 45 nm - Higher Yield, Smaller Die Area
- 12 MB L2 Cache And SSE 4
- The Processor - Intel Core 2 QX9650
- Overclocking I - 3.33 GHz
- Overclocking II - 3.66 GHz
- Overclocking III - 3.8 GHz
- Overclocking IV - 4 GHz At Very High Voltage
- Overclocking V - 4 GHz At FSB 1600
- Overclocking - Up To 19% More Performance
- Overclocking To 4.0 GHz - FSB1600 Offers No Advantage
- Sensational: Idle Power Consumption Of Only 3.79 Watts
- Very Good - 73 Watts For Four Cores
- Lower Core Voltage - 1.250 Volts
- Operating Temperature - 12°C Lower
- Penryn-Based Core 2 CPUs - Models, Prices, New Boxed Cooler
- New Boxed Cooler
- Performance Comparison - Old Vs. New - 6.9% Better Performance
- Test Setup
- Software Configuration
- Benchmarks And Settings
- 3D Games: UT2004, Prey
- 3D Games: Quake 4, Warhammer
- 3D Games: Supreme Commander, Serious Sam 2
- 3D Rendering: Cinema 4D, 3D-Studio Max
- Applications: AVG, WinRAR
- Applications: Photoshop, PDF
- Applications: Deep Fritz
- Audio Encoding: ITunes, Lame
- Synthetic: Sandra CPU
- Synthetic: Sandra Memory
- Synthetic: Sandra Multimedia
- Synthetic: PC-Mark
- Synthetic: 3D-Mark
- Video Encoding: Xvid, Pinnacle Studio
- Video Encoding: Premiere, MainConcept
- Video Encoding: HDTV, DivX
- Video Encoding: CloneDVD
- Conclusion: Less Noise, More Efficiency, More Speed and More Overclocking Potential