Intel SSD DC P3700 800GB and 1.6TB Review: The Future of Storage

Results: Enterprise Video Streaming Performance

Video streaming is a demanding workload within the enterprise space. Companies want more HD streams with higher bit-rates and no stuttering. A storage solution well-suited for enterprise-class video delivery has completely different capabilities than something designed for databases. At the end of the day, you're basically looking for exceptional large-block sequential write performance. You also need a high level of consistency that traditionally isn't seen from consumer SSDs. For a more in-depth analysis, take a look at page 10 of Intel SSD 910 Review: PCI Express-Based Enterprise Storage.

Once the drive is in a steady state, we write its entire capacity 100 times. We use 8 MB transfer sizes and a queue depth of four, recording timestamps for each individual write. The graph below reflects 100-point averaging, so that you can better visualize the results.

As we saw in our performance consistency test, the drive's video streaming performance is also excellent. Not only does it easily meet the specification, but it goes beyond. We measured an average in excess of 1950 MB/s at a consistent rate, and we calculated that we could maintain that average with very little buffering (<64 MB). In other words, the SSD DC P3700 can handle three simultaneous streams of uncompressed 4K video at 30 FPS!

Loading...

Create a new thread in the US Reviews comments forum about this subject
This thread is closed for comments
28 comments
    Your comment
  • blackmagnum
    A large heat sink on an SSD? This thing is too hot to touch!
    0
  • saturn85
    will this kind of ssd suffer from write wear out/reduce lifespan?
    0
  • xback
    In the 1st table on page 1, the "4k random write IOPS" are reversed :)

    (3500 scores highest, while the 3700 scores lowest)
    1
  • redgarl
    OCZ already went there and even made their own connector for providing more bandwith to SSD... just a shame that now Intel try to remove the carpet from beneath the feet of OCZ. Well, old tech is new tech.

    By the way, OCZ revodrive was priced similarly, I don't see that big fuzz from Toms here.
    0
  • Nuckles_56
    "Intel's 2 TB model purportedly needs 650 LFM across the drive"

    What the hell is LFM?
    3
  • JeanLuc
    The active power consumption numbers on first table are wrong (I hope!) 35,000 watts active?

    Edit:
    It's not actually wrong it might just be my out of date browser I'm using in the office but for me the numbers aren't lining up correctly.
    0
  • pjmelect
    Quote:
    "Intel's 2 TB model purportedly needs 650 LFM across the drive"

    What the hell is LFM?


    Linear Feet per Minute of airflow
    4
  • pjmelect
    Quote:
    "Intel's 2 TB model purportedly needs 650 LFM across the drive"

    What the hell is LFM?


    Linear Feet per Minute of airflow
    -1
  • Nuckles_56
    Anonymous said:
    Quote:
    "Intel's 2 TB model purportedly needs 650 LFM across the drive"

    What the hell is LFM?


    Linear Feet per Minute of airflow


    Ah that makes sense now
    0
  • xXXGamesmasheRXXx
    These Expensive Numbers!
    0
  • WyomingKnott
    Did I misread the charts, or did this drive consistently come in second or third except in consistency?
    0
  • chewrock
    My OCZ Revo drive is a first generation PCIe model I got on sale from New Egg. No problems. What is iNTEL trying to claim? Nothing. Their new interface spec is just making it possible for low-tech users to install a product that OCZ has been selling for years.
    0
  • drewriley
    Anonymous said:
    In the 1st table on page 1, the "4k random write IOPS" are reversed :)

    (3500 scores highest, while the 3700 scores lowest)


    Fixed - Thanks!
    0
  • drewriley
    Anonymous said:
    Did I misread the charts, or did this drive consistently come in second or third except in consistency?


    You are correct, there are PCIe SSDs that can beat the P3700, but Intel undercuts the price on those SSDs by a wide margin. SSDs that are in the same price ballpark as the P3700 don't come close in most tests.
    0
  • drewriley
    Anonymous said:
    will this kind of ssd suffer from write wear out/reduce lifespan?


    Yes, these SSDs still have a write endurance specification that is listed on the first page. The P3700 can withstand 10 drive writes per day (DWPD) for a full 5 years.
    0
  • drewriley
    Anonymous said:
    OCZ already went there and even made their own connector for providing more bandwith to SSD... just a shame that now Intel try to remove the carpet from beneath the feet of OCZ. Well, old tech is new tech.

    By the way, OCZ revodrive was priced similarly, I don't see that big fuzz from Toms here.


    The OCZ RevoDrive's that are similarly priced are more consumer drives and not enterprise like the P3XXX series from Intel. These drives will have more write endurance and greater sustained IOP performance, which is what enterprise customers pay for. Also, NVMe isn't an Intel unique thing. Expect to see all PCIe SSD companies, including OCZ, to follow.
    -1
  • drewriley
    Anonymous said:
    My OCZ Revo drive is a first generation PCIe model I got on sale from New Egg. No problems. What is iNTEL trying to claim? Nothing. Their new interface spec is just making it possible for low-tech users to install a product that OCZ has been selling for years.


    I wouldn't say Intel is trying to claim anything. They are following\leading an industry specification that most companies will move to eventually, including OCZ. Native booting is obviously one benefit, but low latency and fewer CPU cycles required are what enterprise customers are happy about.
    0
  • bin1127
    Wanted to make a joke about the name but, nevermind.
    0
  • f-14
    Quote:
    Wanted to make a joke about the name but, nevermind.

    AKA Megatron ?

    i don't see the point in this, it reminds me of the ISA memory storage cards. i can't see this lasting more than 5-10 years as some company already figured out how to do this with RAM (samsung wasn't it?) and is working on the need for storage drives altogether and just have RAM drives that don't lose their data sort of an mpci but in a 304-9 pin dimm slot form factor if i recall properly ?

    so these nvmhci might be on the market now but when that company brings their solution to market it's going to eliminate the need for pcie and sata except for optical disc reading and graphics cards. but i am sure those manufacturers will be looking for a way to incorporate gpus into DIMM slot factors to take real advantage of boards with 32+ PCIe lanes like socket 2011/X79/X99 solutions.

    it would eliminate the pathway needs for alot of peripherals and decrease the size of M/B tremendously to where you'd only need a PC the size of a 9"x 6"x 8" case which USB 3.1 and display port/thunderbolt/lightning eliminating the need for alot of built ins
    0
  • saturn85
    Anonymous said:
    Anonymous said:
    will this kind of ssd suffer from write wear out/reduce lifespan?


    Yes, these SSDs still have a write endurance specification that is listed on the first page. The P3700 can withstand 10 drive writes per day (DWPD) for a full 5 years.


    oh, i see, i think i have miss that part. when NVMe first come to my mind, i thought their storage chips have move to non volatile memory base like PCM, ReRAM and ST-MRAM. but now only i notice their storage chips are still NAND base.
    0