A vast spectrum: The cooling temperatures range from 30°C to 54°C.
The most essential criterion when purchasing a CPU cooler is the attainable cooling temperature at the CPU surface. While the Swiftech MC370-0A emerged as clear victor previously with a cooling temperature of 35°C, the scenario looked a bit different this time with the six new candidates.
To name just one of the surprising results: Swiftech's new MC462 significantly outperformed the already powerful MC370-0A. The Swiftech MC462 cools the CPU surface of an AMD 1000 to a minimal 30°C. The CPU is at least 5 degrees cooler than when using the "little" Swiftech - the MC370-0A. Another newcomer also offers excellent cooling: The Silverado by Noise Control astounds with innovative engineering and a heatsink design that completely deviates from traditional ones. It cools the Athlon processor to 37 degrees.
In general, models that can decrease the temperature to below 40°C are suitable for overclocking. Just how much of a difference these coolers make when compared with the cheap solution (i.e., the no-name standard cooler) is shown quite plainly in this diagram. The no-name cooler reduces the temperature to 54°C, while the top candidate (the Swiftech MC462) accomplishes a sensational 30°C. This fact alone reflects the enormous range of cooling capabilities among the various models, a range that cannot be judged merely from appearances.
- New Coolers For Extreme Tuning - Target: 2000 MHz
- Test Results In Detail: CPU Load At 100 Percent
- Effective Cooling Temperature Range: Between 30°C And 54°C
- Noise Level: Silverado In Whisper Mode
- Total Weight: Swiftech - A Heavyweight At 789 Grams!
- Thermal Resistance C/W: Double Victory For Swiftech
- Fan Revolutions: From 3300 Rpm To 6700 Rpm
- Looking At The New Test Candidates
- 3DFX Cool Socket-AHO-Fan: Upper Midfield, Continued
- TRIG T40-1 And T40-3: Too Much Tension In The Latch Spring
- Noise Control Silverado: 50 Grams Of Pure Silver
- Noise Control Silverado: 50 Grams Of Pure Silver, Continued
- P Alpha: Three-hole Base For A Perfect Fit
- Swiftech MC462: Best Cooling Ability For Overclocking
- Swiftech MC462: Best Cooling Ability For Overclocking, Continued
- Thermal Take Super Orb: Much More Appearance Than Reality!
- Thermal Take Super Orb: Much More Appearance Than Reality! Continued
- Summary: A Comparison Of All 23 Fans
- Design Guide By AMD: Interaction With The PC Case
- Conclusion: The Silverado Is The Technological Highlight