NEC EA274WMi Monitor Review: Eco-Friendly At 2560x1440

Measurement And Calibration Methodology: How We Test

To measure and calibrate monitors, we use an i1Pro spectrophotometer, a Spectracal C6 colorimeter, and version 5.2.0.1374 of SpectraCal’s CalMAN software.

The i1Pro is very accurate and consistent measuring color on all types of displays, regardless of the backlight technology used. When we just need a luminance value, the C6 works better, especially in low light.

For patterns, we employ an AccuPel DVG-5000 video signal generator. This approach removes video cards and drivers from the signal chain, allowing the display to receive true reference patterns. Connections are made via HDMI.

The AccuPel DVG-5000 is capable of generating all types of video signals at any resolution and refresh rate up to 1920x1080 at 60 Hz. It can also display motion patterns to evaluate a monitor's video processing capabilities, with 3D patterns available in every format. This allows us to measure color and grayscale performance, crosstalk, and ghosting in 3D content via the 3D glasses.

The i1Pro/C6 is placed at the center of the screen (unless we’re measuring uniformity) and sealed against it to block out any ambient light. The AccuPel pattern generator (bottom-left) is controlled via USB by CalMAN, which is running on the Dell XPS laptop on the right.

Our version of CalMAN Ultimate allows me to design all of the screens and workflows to best suit the purpose at hand. To that end, I’ve created a display review workflow from scratch. This way, we can be sure and collect all the necessary data with a concise and efficient set of measurements.

The charts show us the RGB levels, gamma response, and Delta E error for every brightness point from zero to 100 percent. The table shows us the raw data for each measurement. And the area in the upper-left tells us luminance, average gamma, Delta E, and contrast ratio. The individual charts can be copied to the Windows clipboard to easily create graphics for our reviews.

Every primary and secondary color is measured at 20-, 40-, 60-, 80-, and 100-percent saturation. The color saturation level is simply the distance from the white point on the CIE chart. You can see the targets moving out from white in a straight line. The farther a point is from center, the greater the saturation until you hit 100 percent at the edge of the gamut triangle. This shows us the display’s response at a cross-section of color points. Many monitors score well when only the 100-percent saturations are measured. Hitting the targets at the lower saturations is more difficult, and factors into our average Delta E value (which explains why our Delta E values are sometimes higher than those reported by other publications).

Create a new thread in the US Reviews comments forum about this subject
This thread is closed for comments
17 comments
    Your comment
  • My 27" Monoprice IPS monitor was $300 total, with $10 in Rakuten credit to boot. So, it could be considered to be $290.

    I'm sure this monitor is slight better, but come on NEC, $800 is ridiculous.
    Even more ridiculous is this quote from the review:
    "At $800, this is the least-expensive high-res model in the line. "
    haha!
    4
  • I'll be glad when the QHD's get down to a more affordable price. They've been out for quite some time now. There's no reason to keep building these monitors for such a high premium, when 4K is on the horizion. Also, they should build these QHD's with better refresh rates already, and bigger screens too. We should be able to go to the store and buy quality 30 in.+ QHD's at around $300-600.
    1
  • FFS! The ROG Swift is going to be coming out soon and it's sporting 144hz, 1ms response, 2560x1440 and G-sync... for like $799.

    The Korean 2560x1440's are in the $300 - $400 price range.

    Who the hell is pricing these things?
    5
  • When you can buy a 4k monitor for about the same price wtf are they thinking? I would not pay over 300 dollars for a 1440p monitor, espeically one without g-sync. Give me a 4k 27in 120hz+ ips with gysnc for around a grand and Im all in. Tired of being asked to pay a stupid premium for 15 year old tech that is on its deathbed.
    0
  • Overlord Computer has been selling their Tempest OC monitor for 2 years now and it is at $450 shipping and warrantied out of California. The Tempest is the only IPS that can be overclocked up to 120Hz that I know of. If you want an IPS at 1440 they should be on your list to check out - I have 3!! They also will have a Gsync IPS panel that will run native around 96Hz - the only one on the planet - those are the rumors at least.
    0
  • As for this quote in the article: "There is still no factory support for refresh rates greater than 60 Hz. "

    Untrue Overlord warranties their OC model and is the only OEM making IPS panels specifically for gamers. Why Tom's doesn't have one of the Tempests to review I still don't understand. Oh wait - that's right - it's pay to review on this site! DOH!
    2
  • everyone is talking about qhd this and qhd that....don't forget to upgrade your graphic cards...today's cards can't keep up...they are power hungry POS...AMD and eNvidia really need to work on power usage....i love my HD 7970 CF set up....man it rus hot...my room is wayyyy to hot when i start gaming.
    1
  • 16:9 :(

    I got my 30" 16:10 2560x1600 LCDs like three years ago for $980-ish.
    0
  • 1440p is not the standard nor is it fast becoming one. 1080p is the standard. 1440p is less than 1% of the user base and has been for 2yrs+. I remember Anandtech claiming this crap in the 660ti review which I bashed ~2yrs ago :) It was a dumb comment then (stupid way for Ryan to claim AMD the victor when most games were under 30fps AVG at that res...ROFL, most under 20fps min!...LOL) , and still is one now. That is about when AMD's portal showed up on anandtech (no bias there...LOL). Not only are these expensive as 1080p 24in can be had for far less, but you require tons of gpu power to run them without turning all kinds of stuff off for a LOT of games. Heck a 780ti can be brought to it's knees by 1080p maxed in some games. This will only get worse as engines up the gpu requirements. I'm not even sure 1440p will be doable (maxed in EVERYTHING) with maxwell 20nm.

    Let me know when 1440p hits 25% share of the market. At that point MAYBE you can claim it's the standard. I expect an email in 3-4yrs...ROFL.
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
    scroll down to primary monitor resolution. .93%...
    Note 1080p=32.91%
    Ideally for it to be standard it has to be the highest percent right? 1080p. GET IT?

    Yes I want us to get to higher res monitors being standard ASAP (with GPU's that can actually push this res without the need for 2+ cards), but reality is that day hasn't arrived so quit saying this BS.

    Also understand that .93% is the penetration of gamers. I'm guessing it is far less if you include the non-gamers who mostly have no need to splurge on an $400-800 monitor to view the web or email and anything under $490 or so I wouldn't touch at 27in/1440p, and not at all without Gsync. I wouldn't buy a monitor without that (put the purchase off) unless mine DIED today forcing me to upgrade. The cheapest NAME you'd recognize on newegg is asus at $490.
    -4
  • Quote:
    As for this quote in the article: "There is still no factory support for refresh rates greater than 60 Hz. " Untrue Overlord warranties their OC model and is the only OEM making IPS panels specifically for gamers. Why Tom's doesn't have one of the Tempests to review I still don't understand. Oh wait - that's right - it's pay to review on this site! DOH!


    This is absolutely not true. Our editorial and advertising departments are purposely kept very separate. In fact, I couldn't even tell you if there are display vendors advertising on the site. We review monitors because they're an important part of the computing experience.

    If you or another representative of Tempest would like to submit a display for review, please contact us! Alternatively, we can reach out to you, also :)
    1
  • Quote:
    One reason companies attempt to get reviews is to sell more units. Considering Overlord is sold out of all but one of their monitors, I don't know how much help they need. That said, I am considering sticking with 60HZ and moving to a Korean 30" 2560x1600 panel. I've gamed at 60HZ for a long time and am used to it, but I'd really like to have more screen real estate. If someone comes out with a 30" panel that supports 120HZ for something REASONABLE then I'd be interested, but I'm not dropping as much as an entire computer on a display.


    Get what you pay for, all these noobs with their 1080p displays are so limiting themselves.Ive been gaming on 30 inches for over 3 years now that I paid $1200 for. Been worth every cent to have much more real estate over the 120hz option. 4K is my next purchase when they come down to $1500 or less.
    0
  • I did not know that - thanks for clarifying! Very good to know since there are so many ads on this site I always assumed (incorrectly) that companies paid for the ability to have reviews put up.

    I will email Overlord to tell them so since I have been supporting them since they started! Fan boy? You betcha!
    0
  • One reason companies attempt to get reviews is to sell more units. Considering Overlord is sold out of all but one of their monitors, I don't know how much help they need.

    That said, I am considering sticking with 60HZ and moving to a Korean 30" 2560x1600 panel. I've gamed at 60HZ for a long time and am used to it, but I'd really like to have more screen real estate. If someone comes out with a 30" panel that supports 120HZ for something REASONABLE then I'd be interested, but I'm not dropping as much as an entire computer on a display.
    0
  • 1407143 said:
    I did not know that - thanks for clarifying! Very good to know since there are so many ads on this site I always assumed (incorrectly) that companies paid for the ability to have reviews put up. I will email Overlord to tell them so since I have been supporting them since they started! Fan boy? You betcha!


    You voted my post down for stating the obvious truth and proving it? What for? I'm already above 1080p, but as stated it's the most common used res NOT 1440p. So what is your problem with the post? Same question for the other two that voted down the truth. Some people. I even stated I want us to move on...LOL. You don't like steam surveys or something? Hate for me?...Whatever...
    0
  • 925801 said:
    1407143 said:
    I did not know that - thanks for clarifying! Very good to know since there are so many ads on this site I always assumed (incorrectly) that companies paid for the ability to have reviews put up. I will email Overlord to tell them so since I have been supporting them since they started! Fan boy? You betcha!
    You voted my post down for stating the obvious truth and proving it? What for? I'm already above 1080p, but as stated it's the most common used res NOT 1440p. So what is your problem with the post? Same question for the other two that voted down the truth. Some people. I even stated I want us to move on...LOL. You don't like steam surveys or something? Hate for me?...Whatever...


    I'll answer your question with a question - why in the hell do you care that your post got voted down by me and 2 others? Do you need confirmation on all your posts of your ability to pull some stats and say something on a forum?

    Ok then - great job! Atta Boy!

    I didn't like the tone of your post it came off arrogant and at the same time needy to show how "in the know" you think you are.

    Funny, I didn't know I was supposed to provide a justification for not liking someone's post, but there you go.
    0
  • :\ "impressed with their build quality" thats always funny to me... im using a hannspree 1920x1200 monitor going on 8 years now. its been ON for 8 years as in i never turn my computer off. it cost me 300 on sale at officemax. and so far it hasnt disintegrated traveling trice up and down the east coast. its like the 8210 of monitors
    0
  • 1407143 said:
    925801 said:
    1407143 said:
    I did not know that - thanks for clarifying! Very good to know since there are so many ads on this site I always assumed (incorrectly) that companies paid for the ability to have reviews put up. I will email Overlord to tell them so since I have been supporting them since they started! Fan boy? You betcha!
    You voted my post down for stating the obvious truth and proving it? What for? I'm already above 1080p, but as stated it's the most common used res NOT 1440p. So what is your problem with the post? Same question for the other two that voted down the truth. Some people. I even stated I want us to move on...LOL. You don't like steam surveys or something? Hate for me?...Whatever...
    I'll answer your question with a question - why in the hell do you care that your post got voted down by me and 2 others? Do you need confirmation on all your posts of your ability to pull some stats and say something on a forum? Ok then - great job! Atta Boy! I didn't like the tone of your post it came off arrogant and at the same time needy to show how "in the know" you think you are. Funny, I didn't know I was supposed to provide a justification for not liking someone's post, but there you go.


    OH, you're the PC police. We have enough of that junk already. Judge the data, not the person. So the priorities for you when judging a post isn't about the post at all...ROFL. I'm arrogant, needy and my TONE sucks...As long as the data is good who cares...

    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg
    Congratulations. You made it to the 3rd level. Responding to the tone of my post...LOL. But that is still completely failing with your "vote". That's OK...I only care about the data anyway, which isn't changing. Come back when you've got something to say about the data instead of me ;) You spend too much time worrying about the tone of a post instead of the content.
    "criticizes the tone of the writing without addressing the substance of the argument." ....Yep. Actually I think you may have done the bottom 3.

    Why do you care how I sound? Ah...Not here for the data? Just here to judge people's tone, attack their character etc.

    The answer to your ?: I comment to find out if someone can argue with the data (for stock purposes mostly, I want MORE data if I can get it, no matter how their TONE is - they might save me money etc). If nobody can tear it down or show better data points, I'm probably on the right track :) I THOUGHT that was what this was, so I wanted to know what part of that you thought was wrong or if you had other info that would prove that. I couldn't care less about your opinion of me or mine of you. It doesn't enter into my comments about your data/points (which there was none.). You're worried about if it's offensive, etc while I'm worried about "is the data in his post right?". My response previously tells you that. I thought this was a DATA discussion forum, not a PC police hangout. Much like grammar/spelling nazis we have no use for those.
    0