We have a new winner when it comes to throughput. WD’s 750GB Caviar Blue reaches 95.6 MB/s, which is an all-time high for a 5,400 RPM drive. Samsung’s Spinpoint M7E is very close behind, but WD maintains better minimum throughput and is closest to the 7,200 RPM drives.
A streaming test with IOMeter confirms the results, but puts Samsung on top this time.
Interface performance is only important for seeing how fast the drive can transfer data into and from the cache memory. In real life, this number is negligible.
- Notebook Hard Drives Closing In On 1TB
- Samsung Spinpoint M7E HM641JI (640GB)
- Seagate Momentus 5400 (640GB)
- Toshiba MK6465GSX (640GB)
- Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD7500BPVT (750GB)
- Test Setup And Comparison Table
- Throughput Diagrams
- Benchmark Results: Throughput And Interface
- Benchmark Results: Access Time And I/O Performance
- Benchmark Results: PCMark Application Performance
- Benchmark Results: Power And Efficiency