Giants is a modern game that makes complete use of DirectX 7 features. It offers effects like reflections or Dot3 bump mapping, as well as large outdoor areas.
The R8500's performance takes a nosedive in Giants. It makes a comeback at very high resolutions, but even then it is only able to beat a GeForce2 Ultra. The picture gets worse in Windows XP. In 1280x1024-32 the card only reaches about half of its Windows 98 performance, and in 1600x1200, the frame counter even dropped below the magical 25fps. To be fair, it should be mentioned that the Nvidia cards are also much slower in Windows XP than in 98.
- RADEON 8500 Performance Check
- Graphics Cards Compared
- Our Athlon Test Rig
- Evolva - DirectX 7 Game - T&L
- Evolva Bump - DirectX 7 Game - T&L, Continued
- Giants - DirectX 7 Game - T&L
- Unreal Tournament - DirectX 7 Game
- Quake 3 - Open GL Game - T&L
- RTCW MP Test - Open GL Game - T&L
- Villagemark - DirectX 7 Benchmark - T&L
- 3D Mark 2001 - DirectX 8 Benchmark