Another batch of monitors just landed. This time, we're sampling 24" screens. If 27" is too big (and too expensive), and 23" is too small, this round-up is just what you need. We put three screens through the usual paces to find a definitive winner.
After a brief hiatus on the display round-ups, we're back. Why? Because, if you're an enthusiast spending big bucks on PC hardware, then you're going to also want a monitor of comparable quality. After all, why would you bother buying a pair of GeForce or Radeon cards if a lackluster screen prevented you from enjoying the highest-quality settings in the latest AAA title?
New LCDs aren't released on a predictable schedule, though, so it's difficult to put together comprehensive line-ups representing the latest and greatest. As such, we're reviewing monitors in smaller batches. This approach has worked pretty well thus far, and we'll continue taking your requests as the come in.
So far, we've covered:
- 22" LED LCDs: Dell ST2220L/SR2220L, LG E2241S/E2241T/E2241V, And Samsung SyncMaster S22A350H
- 23" LED LCDs: Dell SR2320L, HP 2311x, And Samsung PX2370
- 27" IPS-based LCDs: Dell UltraSharp U2711, DoubleSight DS-277W, NEC MultiSync PA271W
Based on comments from that last round-up, we're back with 24" LED monitors. This time, our three contenders represent a wider range of prices. We have:
- Your typical LCD TN-based monitor, Acer's S242HL bid
- An affordable IPS-based LCD, Dell's UltraSharp U2412M
- And a multifunction TV/LCD Monitor, Samsung's SyncMaster T24A550
Of the three screens in our comparison, the one we're most interested in is Dell's 24" UltraSharp U2412M. This is the successor to the CCFL-based U2410M, with a LED backlight and an e-IPS panel (more on that in a bit).
We're pitting that model against a typical TN-based monitor and one that performs double duty as a TV. If you're looking slight more display surface than what a 23" screen offers, the interesting results we generated should help shape your choice as you shop for 24"panels.
|Model||S242HL bid||UltraSharp U2412M||SyncMaster T24A550/T24A350|
|Response Time||5 ms||8 ms||5 ms|
|Refresh Rate||60 Hz||60 Hz||60 Hz|
- Three 24" LCDs, Benchmarked And Reviewed
- Acer S242HL bid
- Dell UltraSharp U2412M
- Samsung SyncMaster T24A550/T24A350
- Display Profile And Tilt
- Our Benchmarking Approach
- Out-Of-Box Performance: Brightness And Contrast Ratio
- Out-Of-Box Performance: Color Accuracy And Gamut
- Out-Of-Box Performance: Maximum And Minimum Brightness
- Calibrated Performance: Brightness And Contrast Ratio
- Calibrated Performance: Color Accuracy And Gamut
- Black And White Uniformity, Viewing Angles
- Power Consumption
- Response Time, Input Lag, And Final Words