Surface temperature is only a small issue for enterprise hard drives. Consequently, there has been hardly any focus on temperature by Hitachi.
Interestingly, drive idle power has not decreased while desktop hard drives have achieved substantial power savings in recent years.
There are power savings at maximum streaming, although the oldest drive shows the smallest power consumption in this test.
Power consumption at a defined, limited workload has not decreased on average.
Power for workstation I/O shows a slight decrease from one generation to the next, but this may not have been intentional.
- Quo Vadis, Hard Drive? An Analysis Of Enterprise HDDs
- 2005: Ultrastar 15K147 (147GB)
- 2007: Ultrastar 15K300 (300GB)
- 2008: Ultrastar 15K450 (450GB)
- 2009: Ultrastar 15K600 (600GB)
- Test Setup And Comparison Table
- Benchmark Results: Access Time And I/O Performance
- Benchmark Results: Throughput And Streaming
- Benchmark Results: Throughput Diagrams
- Benchmark Results: Application Benchmarks
- Benchmark Results: Temperature And Power Consumption
- Benchmark Results: Efficiency And Performance Index, Conclusion