Our last test again focuses on performance per watt, but now via requesting sequential read operations from the contestants. As expected, the 7,200 RPM Spinpoint F drives are much faster than the 5,400 RPM EcoGreen F drive, but this time, the difference is more significant than in the workstation-type I/O test.
At the same time, the difference in power requirements is a bit smaller than in the I/O test, because operating at maximum throughput usually forces the controller to operate at a peak power condition. Let’s put performance and power into context:
If you want your hard drive to be efficient when reading (or writing) large amount of sequential data, such as video streams, the Spinpoint F RAID provides the best performance per watt ratio. The Spinpoint F and the EcoGreen F reach identical performance per watt levels.
- Mainstream, Business or Eco? Samsung Terabyte Drives Compared
- Eco? Should You Care?
- Samsung Spinpoint F, RAID, EcoGreen
- Drive Comparison Table and Test Setup
- Benchmark Results: Transfer Diagrams
- Benchmark Results: Throughput
- Benchmark Results: Access Time and I/O Performance
- Application Performance, Temperature, Power Requirements
- Workstation I/O Performance per Watt
- Streaming Read Performance per Watt