RX 480 low fps problem

Rhoghar

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
Hi all. I've just bought an MSI RX 480 4GB graphics card a couple of days ago. Big upgrade from my old 7770.
I was really glad that I could finally play AAA games with all the bells and whistles.
So I installed dragon age inquisition and set everything on ultra. As soon as I got out of Haven I started noticing the slow downs, especially in populated areas where my fps would get as low as 20.
I also tried out total war warhammer on DX12 which I should have absolutely no problem playing with ultra settings. Just started the game and on the first introductionary mission (Vampire Counts siege battle) my fps would drop to 15-20. Also tested in custom battles. Same results when lots of units are present.

Here are my specs:
GPU: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB
CPU: Intel Core i5 3470 3.2 Ghz
PSU :Seasonic S12II-520 Bronze 520W
HDD: Seagate Surveillance HDD 1TB
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1333 mhz
Also note I'm gaming on a 1366x768 res. (for now)
I really have no idea what could be causing these problems.
Best regards.

Rhoghar

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I did try other games. I tried Witcher 3, DOOM and AC Syndicate and they all work fine on ultra settings.
Seems this only happens with Warhammer and to some extent Inquisition . I also noticed that my GPU usage in Warhammer keeps jumping from 0% to 100% constantly while my CPU usage stays usually the same (70-75%)
So much for Warhammer being AMD optimized, lol.
I actually ran 3DMark FireStrike test and the results were spot on.

Rhoghar

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
Hello, thanks for your reply.
Yes I did try Inquisition in Mantle and it seems to fix the lag in Redcliffe but it causes lots of stutter and makes my loading times huge for some reason. Fortunately the lag is the worst in Redcliffe but the game is playable in the rest of the areas.

Rhoghar

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016

Rhoghar

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
The gpu usage spiking was most probably caused by vsync. Still I don't understand why with an i5 and rx 480 I got 30 fps in Syndicate. Pretty much the same story with Far cry 4. Whenever I am in towns my fps drops to 40, even 30. Yet I am playing witcher 3 with 70 fps everything ultra.
I am frustrated out of my mind.

possible CPU bottleneck? recently i fire up Assassin Creed Black flag and the game will stutter to the point it is unplayable even with lowest setting. this is with my CPU running at stock setting. OCed my 2500K to 4.5Ghz then the stutter mostly gone. my you should check you cpu and gpu utilization when the frame rate drops happen. in another case i see when the CPU usage dropping in AC black flag my FPS will also got affected to certain extend.

Rhoghar

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
Well unfortunately I don't have the possibility to overclock my 3470. I'm watching this guy on youtube playing Far cry 4 ultra settings with the same cpu and a gtx 970. I noticed turning shadows to low in FC4 improved my fps so maybe it's the gpu? This is confusing. We have DOOM that requires a i5 2400 as a minimum while Far cry 4 has i5 2400 as recommended.
I have no problem running doom. Thanks for your replies renz. I appreciate the help. Maybe these issues will get solved with future driver updates. Who knows.
I just want to make sure it's not a gpu problem. Because I just bought it and I can send it back.

Rhoghar

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
Hello again guys!
I somehow fixed this problem by downgrading to Windows 7 from Windows 10. Now the problem is gone. I can play huge battles in warhammer with absolutely no lag on ultra settings . And this is on Directx 11. Thanks for your replies.

EDIT:
Downgrading to Windows 7 didn't help.
I have fixed my problem by upgrading to i5 6600k and 8 GB of RAM.
My frame rate is higher, true, but it's still now what I imagined it would be. Some games just won't work flawlessly, and there's nothing you can do. I believe I have set my expectations too high, and expected amazing performances from all games.

Jorge_38

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
I had the same problem withmy rx470 (i have a i5 3470 too, and 16gb ddr3), but is´nt a hardware problem, the solution for the problem is kill all procces of AmD, (these procces produces extreme low fps in some games (opengl games)), and i can play Dead rising 3 and assains creed again. (sorry for My english, is very poor :)

Zipp007

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Here are my specs:
GPU: Asus STRIX RX 480 - 8gb
CPU: The 6th generation Intel® Core i5 6400 2.7 Ghz
PSU: Corsair Cx series CX750M 750W ATX12V
HDD: OS - > SSD + 2x HHDs (Win8.1Pro)
RAM: 8GB DDR4 at 2133MHz

To whom it may concern,
I recently purchased a ASUS M32CD from best-buy. I also bought a 480 RX 8gb online from amazon. I noticed this CPU/GPU was not built well enough to handle HIGH load graphical operations right out of the box, and some issues with the BIOS/GPU software. When I finished building & fired up, It worked well for about 1-2 weeks. After that I would get random crashes here and there that became more and more frequent. I fixed most of these issues myself with a bit of research online. There are 2 major problems with this rig, and I will bullet point what I did to increase performance. 1) BIOS is unstable out-of-box > Update BIOS with ASUS_Manager-Update_V20505 & BIOS update H110-I-ASUS-M32CD4-1004 from the website 2) Everyone expects WATTMAN to solve the issue & it does.. luckily. You need to increase the PWR to/by 50% in the Radeon software, but not only that.. in order to utilize that extra power you can't have the "Temperature" setting on automatic.. it causes the software to throttle the hardware back to much. Adjust the temperature settings to basically throttle your card to preform better at the cost of more heat(energy). Higher MAX & Lower TARGET - Make sure you increase fan speeds to compensate or you could overheat & yeah. I went from low 7-14 fps to about 56-58 fps in a CPU intensive game. Hope this helps some people out there GL