i7 7700 and H100iV2 Question

Peter_184

Reputable
Nov 25, 2016
Hello everyone! I have a very simple question regarding my CPU and Cooler combo. I got these 2 approximately a year ago and now that I actually checked my temperatures. It seems a bit high for a liquid cooler. Around 40-50 idle and 70-80 while playing games like AC Origins, GTA V, etc. As a matter of fact, I have just clean the PC and temperature is still the same. So I just want to ask everyone if this is normal under the circumstances of a liquid cooler.

PS: I had a 6700K back then with Hyper 212 EVO and it runs around 30-40 idle and 70-80 running games too, so I just want to know if there is something wrong with my computer. Or is it just intel with their very hot CPU. Thanks!!!

Solution
If you have good enough airflow + the case is big enough I would say a 1080 should stay around 20 - 25 celcius above ambient temps @ idle
Something is wrong for sure, I'd check the pump and make sure it's running at it's optimal RPM of around 1800-2000 (from Corsair Link, if you read it from the BIOS it'll say like 800RPM).

I also have the H100i V2, and I've got a Ryzen 7 1700X which has almost double the TDP of your CPU and I get 32C idle and around 60C under load.

AC Origins does run CPUs hotter than other games. I remember when I had my Cryorig H7 on my 7700K at 4.5Ghz it would reach the same temp (85C) playing AC Origins as it would running Prime95 for 10mins.

Now, do you mean i7-7700 or 7700K? Have you checked your Corsair settings, such as fan/pump speed?

You dont say anything about the ambient temp in the room so it would be nice to know that.

Sadly the 7700 and 7700k both are running hot thanks to the TIM + spacing Intel has between the substrate and CPU die.

As an example even if I have the 7700k

I have a custom loop cooling only the CPU and are using a 480mm Hardwarelabs black ice nemesis GTX with a total of 8 x 120mm fans in a push / pull config.

Pretty mutch what you would call a total overkill and not needed setup for cooling an 7700K.

At stock speeds with no overclock I was hitting 98 - 100 degree celcius during benchmarks and was seeing 85 - 92 degree celcius during gaming... And that was with a room temp in the 20 - 23 celcius area.

I had to delid to fix the CPU sadly.
I will not recommend you doing it simply because you are safe even if your temps are in the 70 - 80 area. Its high but not alarming.

The Ryzen 1700X that TechyInAZ has does not use the same TIM between the CPU and IHS as Intel.
AMD has used solder. Intel has used some kind of thermal grease that is pretty bad compared to AMD`s solder to conduct heat away from the CPU die to the IHS.
That is also why even if he has almost double the TDP over the 7700 he still gets better temps.

Peter_184

Reputable
Nov 25, 2016
Ah forgot about ambient temperatures but I actually don't know that really but for comparison my GTX 1080 at 0% fan speed hovers around ~39 degrees. I live in San Diego and temperature rn is like 69 degrees Fahrenheit

69 farenheit = 20.5 celcius.

Yea sounds about correct sadly when it comes to your CPU if you have been a bit unlucky with the one you have gotten.
Not all 7700 are made the same some a in fact pretty ok when it comes to temps while some are pretty bad. Same with the 7700K.
I seen people running the 7700K in the high 60 degree celcius area @ stock settings all the way up to 95 - 102 degree celcius...
So I like to say you now have two lottery you have to play when buying a CPU...

1. How far can you push it? (silicone lottery) (not the none (k) variant ofc)

and

2. How toasty is it? (temprature lottery)

Peter_184

Reputable
Nov 25, 2016
Yeah Imma try all the steps suggested and plus my cable management is not so great, I will change thermal paste and see what I can do to lower temperature of computer. Thanks for y'all suggestion!!