[SOLVED] Will my i7 2600 at 4.2 Ghz bottleneck my gtx 1070?

goldorak

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Hello. I have several computers at home for the hobby of building PCs. One is an i7 3770 overclocked at turbo speed to 4.3 Ghz with 2133 Mhz rams on a z77 mb. And 2 other i7 2600 overclocked as well by turbo multipliers to 4.2 Ghz. All have GTx 1070s. Are the i7 2600 bottlenecking my cards. Should I upgrade. My young children game casually but I really dont. Are these cpus too old now.

Solution
I built myself a new Ryzen 2700X machine for my birthday in August, the "old" machine was about 3 years old and I was itching to build another.
I can tell you though, going from a 6700K & GTX 980 to a Ryzen 2700X and GTX 1070 (I got a good deal too - ex mining card) doesn't actually feel particularly different for any of the games I'm playing. I'm happy with the new beast though.

Also the 2700X barely gets used for a lot of games but watching it encode a whole album worth of MP3s at the same time using one thread per track made me smile. 12 tracks, Flac -> MP3, dBpoweramp, less than 10 seconds :)

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Yes but it only matters if it's taking them below playable framerates which it probably isn't. I would suggest that as long as the games are managing 60fps or more then upgrading for children who "game casually" is throwing money away for the sake of better benchmarks. So unless one of them is playing a game that is performing badly I personally see no point in upgrading regardless of any bottlenecks.

goldorak

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
That is very reasonable. How about the 3770 at 4.3 Ghz does it bottleneck as well? In all cases was thinking of upgrading this one. Although the cpu mark is more then a standard 4790k. And the rams are good 2133 for ddr3.
This one i use myself at home for casual work and some video encoding but rarely. More like a small workstation for adhoc work. I got all these cpus for cheap from scrap computers at work. Like 25 dollars for the CPU. And got refurbished MSI z77 gd65 g45 and gd55 motherboards some time ago.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
The 3770 is only a little better than the 2600 so they will game much the same. If a game is unplayable on one it's likely to be almost as bad on the other.

I guess my main point is there is always a bottleneck and it's not an issue unless you are wanting or needing more performance than you are getting.
If everything is running smoothly then the only reason left to upgrade is just because you want to - I'm guilty of that one a lot myself.

goldorak

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I hear you. I am guilty of wanting to upgrade. Who doesn't game and get 3x gtx 1070s... :)
I got then on a good deal though.
Thanks for the answers. I am considering ryzen 7 2700x for my main machine and ryzen 5 2600x for the secondary ones. Unless I get a good deal on an 8700k or a 9700k.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
I built myself a new Ryzen 2700X machine for my birthday in August, the "old" machine was about 3 years old and I was itching to build another.
I can tell you though, going from a 6700K & GTX 980 to a Ryzen 2700X and GTX 1070 (I got a good deal too - ex mining card) doesn't actually feel particularly different for any of the games I'm playing. I'm happy with the new beast though.

Also the 2700X barely gets used for a lot of games but watching it encode a whole album worth of MP3s at the same time using one thread per track made me smile. 12 tracks, Flac -> MP3, dBpoweramp, less than 10 seconds :)

Solution