GS Wavetable Problem

blindstrike

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Hello,

I have recently installed Windows 7 (32-bit) on my computer (a student edition), and am having only one problem in upgrading from XP.

I seem to have a problem with midi playback. This is a problem for me moreso than the average person because i write music in software called Guitar Pro, and it's playback is through midi.

When playing back midi files, there are audible clicks and pops in the audio. I can play back any other sound file just fine, and if i choose to use my Creative Audigy 2's built-in synth, the problem disappears (I strongly prefer the GS Wavetable to the Audigy's for the songwriting process).

I know for almost a fact that the problem doesn't exist at the sound card level, as i've also tried the onboard sound and my logitech USB headset, and all 3 sources result in the same problem.

Playing back the midi file in winamp and WMP nets the same problem, however playing it back in Quicktime does not.

I've tried using the registry to point to my windows.old (XP) version of the gm.dls (the gs wavetable file), and that doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but it's the best place i know of, if you can offer any help or insight to what might be causing the issue, I would appreciate it more than you know!

Here's a soundfile of the problem that i'm having, so you can hear it firsthand:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/67212884fb8ebf9f/

Thanks again ^_^

blindstrike

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Yeah, and after some more research, I think it's actually a Windows 7 issue, because I've heard it on every Windows 7 computer I've tried it against.

I think it's a midi playback issue.