Blue Screen after Shut Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

underclocker

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Really weird problem:

Whenever I shut down, and the "Force Quit" window pops up, I get a blue screen. It doesn't happen instantly, but right before my machine turns off, it blue screens.

Even if I don't actually force-quit, but just wait for it to terminate the application, I find the computer blue screened.

This isn't an issue about losing work (etc.) but just annoying that it doesn't shut off properly.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Solution
My guess would be that it's an incompatible driver. The best thing that you can do is to boot your computer without loading any drivers except for the essentials and turning each one on one by one to determine which software/hardware is causing the issue.

First though, check to see if you have all of your drivers installed. If you know how to do this, you can skip is paragraph. To do this though, click Start, then right click My Computer and select Manage. Next, you'll see a window pop up and on the right hand side, one of the last options is Device Manager. Click it. Now you'll see a list of different categories for the drivers. Go through each and make sure there isn't a yellow circle with a ? mark in it next to the title of the...

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
My guess would be that it's an incompatible driver. The best thing that you can do is to boot your computer without loading any drivers except for the essentials and turning each one on one by one to determine which software/hardware is causing the issue.

First though, check to see if you have all of your drivers installed. If you know how to do this, you can skip is paragraph. To do this though, click Start, then right click My Computer and select Manage. Next, you'll see a window pop up and on the right hand side, one of the last options is Device Manager. Click it. Now you'll see a list of different categories for the drivers. Go through each and make sure there isn't a yellow circle with a ? mark in it next to the title of the hardware/software. If there is, you need the driver for it. If there are no yellow circles, all of your drivers are installed.

Now, to determine WHICH of the installed drivers is causing the issue, you'll have to clean boot. To do this...

1. Go back to the Device Manager window (you can just type DEVMGMT.MSC in the search instead).
2. Expand each category and right click on the according device and choose Properties. It should be the last option.
3. A window pops up, click on the Driver tab (2nd one).
4. You should see a button that says "Disable Driver". Click it.
5. Repeat step 4 for each of the other drivers, until they're all disabled. (you will have a screen res change, as the video drivers will be disabled too, so that's normal)
6. Now restart your computer, and go back to those drivers and one by one turn them on and restart your computer in between each driver enable.

This should reveal which driver is playing tricks on you and you should be able to take care of it. This could be as simple as having a win32b driver instead of the w764b like it should be.

Anyway, I hope this helps and let us know how it goes!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.