Sudden FPS Drops in All Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
Hey Guys, I play games like battlefield 3, Dead Space 3, F1 2012, Hitman Absolution, Fifa 13, Shogun 2 and many more...

Since a week ago i've been experiencing FPS drops in all games be it single player or multiplayer...

For example - In Battlefield 3 I play on low graphic settings and get about 70-80 FPS on an average. But now i get FPS drops to 13-25 frames for 2-3 seconds in every few minutes and then back to normal..

This is happening in every game. What do i do ?

Is It a Hardware or a Software problem ?

This is my Rig :-

AMD FX 4100 OC'd @ 4.6 Ghz

ASUS NVIDIA 550Ti

ASUS MXA78L-M LX

CORSAIR CX 430

CORSAIR VENGEANCE 4GB

Solution
So i had the same problem like you. At first everything ran very smoothly and without any fps drops. I played assassins creed black flag with 60 fps and league of legends with 110 fps. But then suddenly it became like unplayable. The fps dropped on AC to 10 and in league of legends to 30 it was really annoying to deal with it. I went to the web for help. And i found someone mention MALWAREBYTES to scan your pc. I did a quick scan and found 3 THREATS:

PUP.Optional.bandoo - from iLividsetup
PUP.Optional.bandoo - from iLividsetup (yes i had 2 of them)
PUP.Optional.softonic.A - from softonic downloader for video.

These 3 files were in my downloads map and were not really hidden. But my pc started to work fine again after i did the scan...
sounds like your cpu is throttling. check the heatsync and make sure it hasnt come loose or is not full of dust.
also have you been into bios and played about with the fan settings or installed something like afterburner?
get realtem and hwmonitor to make sure your temps are within spec.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012

Yes i do have msi afterburner... the temps are ok.. while gaming they go to about 60c.. i have hwmonitor too... :\ fan speeds are fine .. just normal

then i would suggest you defrag your hdd, clean your registry then check for malware with malwarebytes and a good antivirus.
you may already have a decent 1 but none are 100% safe so using a different 1 now and again can catch things your normal 1 uses.
if your using norton, mcfee or microsoft security essentials then you need a better av like avira, bitdefender, nod32 as the 3 i have mention have very poor catch rates.
also if you have avast/avg your system may be scanning while you play so make sure your in gaming mode when you play games.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
i have already defrag-ed the hdd, registry is clean .. ran the antivirus - kasperksky 2012.. no viruses found.. i even ran chkdsk on all drives... got no probs

tomtomvdp

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
I have the exact same problem , temps are fine , ran different av / anti malware softwares , multiple hdd defrags , underclocking ,overclocking . A billion different drivers.

after having a look about i see this is a common problem with this card and the 660ti. its likely down to not enough amps on the gpu power rail. try using a x2 molex to 6pin splitter and connect each molex up to a different power rail. hopefully this will power the card properly... i think you need 32-36 amps to run the card properly.
it sounds like your psu may be the culprit if its not grunty enough. it may have the minimum required wattage but as i say it may not have the amps as some are badly labled and give the peak power rather than the constant.

Leon Bullet

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
If the temps are ok then I know why this is happening . You have to check your motherboard CPU power support.For example if your Motherboard supports only 95w processors then your 125w processor wont work good and you will get fps drops in all games when the CPU starts working full power.A way to fix this is to lower the power consumption of your CPU which can be done in windows power settings or ATI control panel .It wont completely fix the problem but it will lower the fps drop.Anyway its not safe to have a 125w CPU in a 95w motherboard cause the CPU can damage the motherboard.Happy to help out.Shalom

weaselvali

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Just try to see if your card it's @16x. It also happened to me, it was running @1x, i just removed it from the pci-e slot and put it back again, after some dust removal :D
good luck!

highburn

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
So i had the same problem like you. At first everything ran very smoothly and without any fps drops. I played assassins creed black flag with 60 fps and league of legends with 110 fps. But then suddenly it became like unplayable. The fps dropped on AC to 10 and in league of legends to 30 it was really annoying to deal with it. I went to the web for help. And i found someone mention MALWAREBYTES to scan your pc. I did a quick scan and found 3 THREATS:

PUP.Optional.bandoo - from iLividsetup
PUP.Optional.bandoo - from iLividsetup (yes i had 2 of them)
PUP.Optional.softonic.A - from softonic downloader for video.

These 3 files were in my downloads map and were not really hidden. But my pc started to work fine again after i did the scan and had them removed.

I hope this helped someone

Solution

stelios15

Reputable
Jul 7, 2014

thanks for the program i had the same issue and i tried MALWAREBYTES for myself..i had a malware problem!

Quincuncial

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
If you have a AMD CPU try disabling AMD Cool n Quiet. It fix the problem for me.
My FX-8350 was down-clocking as I was playing, causing my FPS to drop for a couple of seconds. Then after a few seconds m FPS went back to normal.

tomtomvdp

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013

Hi, it's probably due to CPU throttling. Which means your CPU is overheating hence forcing it to downclock itself . To prevent itself of any further damage. Download "open hardware monitor" It's free , and so far it's working flawlessly for me. Then let it running while you are playing. Once it starts to have the sudden fps drops, alt+tab , and check the open hardware monitor's CPU temps- And if they are 60°+ . Then you found your problem. Easiest solution is to get a new cpu cooler. I bought a coolermaster 212 evo , because my budget is very low. But it does the trick. If you have more money get something better.

Hope that helps.

evyosh

Honorable
Sep 11, 2015
i had the same problem after i updated my nvidia drivers... so what i did was installed the older version... there were lot of threads going around with FPS drop... might as well check that also...

the one random guy

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
It's strange, i have a arctic freezer pro 13 CO, my temps should be fine. however i used to get higher frames with the stock cooler, i think i may have installed it wrong or my thermal paste was just rubbish, i think i need to use better thermal paste, and see if i applied my cpu cooler wrong. Any other input would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts