Can't delete corrupt AVI file

I have a large corrupt AVI file on my hard disk. Trying
to play it locks up WMP or PowerDVD or WinDVD. When I
try to delete it, WindowsXP won't let me, saying the file
is "in use by another application". Of course, there are
no other apps running. I can copy the corrupt file, but
now I have two large undeleteable files taking up a great
deal of space. How can I delete them? Help!

At startup, press F8 and boot into Safe Mode. See if you can now delete
them
www.coribright.com

"Brashearp" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a large corrupt AVI file on my hard disk. Trying
> to play it locks up WMP or PowerDVD or WinDVD. When I
> try to delete it, WindowsXP won't let me, saying the file
> is "in use by another application". Of course, there are
> no other apps running. I can copy the corrupt file, but
> now I have two large undeleteable files taking up a great
> deal of space. How can I delete them? Help!

"Brashearp" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a large corrupt AVI file on my hard disk. Trying
> to play it locks up WMP or PowerDVD or WinDVD. When I
> try to delete it, WindowsXP won't let me, saying the file
> is "in use by another application". Of course, there are
> no other apps running. I can copy the corrupt file, but
> now I have two large undeleteable files taking up a great
> deal of space. How can I delete them? Help!

Two things to try: Try moving the avi files into a new, empty folder.
Delete that entire folder and its contents.

Something else, which I have not tried, is "Remove On Reboot" available
most of the way down this page: http://www.bjb-inc.com/products.asp Here
is the description: "Have you ever tried to delete a file only get the
dreaded file in use error? This shell extension adds the Remove on Next
Reboot functionality to the Windows operating system. Just right click the
file you want deleted and it will be removed the next time you reboot."

Hope that helps,
Ian.

Safe mode didn't work for me. Every time I tried to look
at the folder containing the corrupt file, Windows
Explorer "had to close" because of an error. But I was
finally able to delete the file from the "command prompt"
which replaced MSDOS.
Hardware)