File system error (1026)

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

I was attempting to backup my Favorites onto a floppy, when I got this error
message:

"Cannot copy (file name) : Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you
specify the correct path and file name."

The named file was without a link icon (the blue "e" with the arrow), which
indicated to me that it lacked its file association. So I attempted to add
the .URL extension. I got the following error message:

"Cannot rename file. File system error (1026)."

So I attempted to just delete the file. I got the following error message:

"Cannot delete file. File system error (1026)."

Now what? Until I fix "File system error (1026)," I am unable to do a backup
of this folder.

Thanks for any help.

thomas

You neglected a crucial bit of info--What is the name of the file?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"thomas" <9r6bdg1v001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>I was attempting to backup my Favorites onto a floppy, when I got this
>error
> message:
>
> "Cannot copy (file name) : Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you
> specify the correct path and file name."
>
> The named file was without a link icon (the blue "e" with the arrow),
> which
> indicated to me that it lacked its file association. So I attempted to add
> the .URL extension. I got the following error message:
>
> "Cannot rename file. File system error (1026)."
>
> So I attempted to just delete the file. I got the following error message:
>
> "Cannot delete file. File system error (1026)."
>
> Now what? Until I fix "File system error (1026)," I am unable to do a
> backup
> of this folder.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> thomas

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Thanks for the quick reply,

The file name is "$23.01 Battery Technology" It is (was) a link to
http://www.gtsi.com/search/guidedsearch.aspx?ShopperID=c0e9fe1d-ad28-46e5-b9e7-277527f78be9&Ntt=rec+10&in_dym=1&Ntk=SearchAll&D=rec+10&Nty=1
(which is a battery product).

I did a Properties on the file, which indicated that it was a "File" instead
of an "Internet Shortcut." (That's why I attempted to repair it by adding
..URL to the file name.)

I have already created a new link to this URL ($23.01 Battery Technology.url
(with the .url extension hidden), and it works fine.

I can't see why the name of the file could be important.

thomas

> You neglected a crucial bit of info--What is the name of the file?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "thomas" <9r6bdg1v001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> >I was attempting to backup my Favorites onto a floppy, when I got this
> >error
> > message:
> >
> > "Cannot copy (file name) : Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you
> > specify the correct path and file name."
> >
> > The named file was without a link icon (the blue "e" with the arrow),
> > which
> > indicated to me that it lacked its file association. So I attempted to
add
> > the .URL extension. I got the following error message:
> >
> > "Cannot rename file. File system error (1026)."
> >
> > So I attempted to just delete the file. I got the following error
message:

> > "Cannot delete file. File system error (1026)."
> >
> > Now what? Until I fix "File system error (1026)," I am unable to do a
> > backup
> > of this folder.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > thomas

It wasn't the name that I was interested in as much as the extension. Though
something like Desktop.ini would catch my eye, also. As it is, you have what
appears to be a corrupt file. This KB article *might* help, if you ignore
the "Causes" and simply try the suggested fixes.

Might also try restarting in Command Prompt Only mode and drill down to the
Favorites folder, and then delete the file there.

--

> Thanks for the quick reply,
>
> The file name is "$23.01 Battery Technology" It is (was) a link to
> http://www.gtsi.com/search/guidedsearch.aspx?ShopperID=c0e9fe1d-ad28-46e5-b9e7-277527f78be9&Ntt=rec+10&in_dym=1&Ntk=SearchAll&D=rec+10&Nty=1
> (which is a battery product).
>
> I did a Properties on the file, which indicated that it was a "File"
> instead
> of an "Internet Shortcut." (That's why I attempted to repair it by adding
> .URL to the file name.)
>
> I have already created a new link to this URL ($23.01 Battery
> Technology.url
> (with the .url extension hidden), and it works fine.
>
> I can't see why the name of the file could be important.
>
> thomas

>> You neglected a crucial bit of info--What is the name of the file?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "thomas" <9r6bdg1v001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>> >I was attempting to backup my Favorites onto a floppy, when I got this
>> >error
>> > message:
>> >
>> > "Cannot copy (file name) : Cannot find the specified file. Make sure
>> > you
>> > specify the correct path and file name."
>> >
>> > The named file was without a link icon (the blue "e" with the arrow),
>> > which
>> > indicated to me that it lacked its file association. So I attempted to
> add
>> > the .URL extension. I got the following error message:
>> >
>> > "Cannot rename file. File system error (1026)."
>> >
>> > So I attempted to just delete the file. I got the following error
> message:
>> >
>> > "Cannot delete file. File system error (1026)."
>> >
>> > Now what? Until I fix "File system error (1026)," I am unable to do a
>> > backup
>> > of this folder.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help.
>> >
>> > thomas

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

What's the KB article that you are referring to? Link?

thomas

Sorry, got distracted.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=208082

--

> What's the KB article that you are referring to? Link?
>
> thomas

>> It wasn't the name that I was interested in as much as the extension.
> Though
>> something like Desktop.ini would catch my eye, also. As it is, you have
> what
>> appears to be a corrupt file. This KB article *might* help, if you ignore
>> the "Causes" and simply try the suggested fixes.
>>
>> Might also try restarting in Command Prompt Only mode and drill down to
> the
>> Favorites folder, and then delete the file there.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>

>> "thomas" <9r6bdg1v001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the quick reply,
>> >
>> > The file name is "$23.01 Battery Technology" It is (was) a link to
>> >
> http://www.gtsi.com/search/guidedsearch.aspx?ShopperID=c0e9fe1d-ad28-46e5-b9e7-277527f78be9&Ntt=rec+10&in_dym=1&Ntk=SearchAll&D=rec+10&Nty=1
>> > (which is a battery product).
>> >
>> > I did a Properties on the file, which indicated that it was a "File"
>> > instead
>> > of an "Internet Shortcut." (That's why I attempted to repair it by
> adding
>> > .URL to the file name.)
>> >
>> > I have already created a new link to this URL ($23.01 Battery
>> > Technology.url
>> > (with the .url extension hidden), and it works fine.
>> >
>> > I can't see why the name of the file could be important.
>> >
>> > thomas
>> >

>> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

>> > add

>> > message:

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 22:09:00 -0600, "thomas"
<9r6bdg1v001@sneakemail.com> wrote:

>I was attempting to backup my Favorites onto a floppy, when I got this error
>message:
>
>"Cannot copy (file name) : Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you
>specify the correct path and file name."
>
>The named file was without a link icon (the blue "e" with the arrow), which
>indicated to me that it lacked its file association. So I attempted to add
>the .URL extension. I got the following error message:
>
>"Cannot rename file. File system error (1026)."
>
>So I attempted to just delete the file. I got the following error message:
>
>"Cannot delete file. File system error (1026)."
>
>Now what? Until I fix "File system error (1026)," I am unable to do a backup
>of this folder.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>thomas

Thomas,

See this article.
Cannot Delete File: File System Error (1026):

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Thanks, that's pretty much the same info that I found at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q208082/

I keep reading this info over and over, but it doesn't seem to apply to my
computer or to what I've been doing on it.

thomas

As I replied to Bill Watt, http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=208082 doesn't
seem to apply to my
computer or to what I've been doing on it.

Buffalo (in microsoft.public.win98.performance) gave me the solution. Using
DOS, I renamed the corrupt file, which fixed it.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

thomas

> Sorry, got distracted.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=208082
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "thomas" <9r6bdg1v001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> > What's the KB article that you are referring to? Link?
> >
> > thomas
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> It wasn't the name that I was interested in as much as the extension.
> > Though
> >> something like Desktop.ini would catch my eye, also. As it is, you have
> > what
> >> appears to be a corrupt file. This KB article *might* help, if you
ignore
> >> the "Causes" and simply try the suggested fixes.
> >>
> >> Might also try restarting in Command Prompt Only mode and drill down to
> > the
> >> Favorites folder, and then delete the file there.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS-MVP Shell/User
> >>

> >> "thomas" <9r6bdg1v001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message

http://www.gtsi.com/search/guidedsearch.aspx?ShopperID=c0e9fe1d-ad28-46e5-b9e7-277527f78be9&Ntt=rec+10&in_dym=1&Ntk=SearchAll&D=rec+10&Nty=1

> > adding

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

I'm sure that might have worked. Instead, I renamed it using MS-DOS, which
fixed the corrupt file, without having to delete it. Back in Windows 98, I
renamed the file with a .URL extension and it works!

The corrupt link file was not in itself important. But I did the above
exercise in order to learn how to possibly fix any other corrupt files in
the future.

Thanks for the idea.

thomas

> It wasn't the name that I was interested in as much as the extension.
Though
> something like Desktop.ini would catch my eye, also. As it is, you have
what
> appears to be a corrupt file. This KB article *might* help, if you ignore
> the "Causes" and simply try the suggested fixes.
>
> Might also try restarting in Command Prompt Only mode and drill down to
the
> Favorites folder, and then delete the file there.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>

> "thomas" <9r6bdg1v001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the quick reply,
> >
> > The file name is "$23.01 Battery Technology" It is (was) a link to

http://www.gtsi.com/search/guidedsearch.aspx?ShopperID=c0e9fe1d-ad28-46e5-b9e7-277527f78be9&Ntt=rec+10&in_dym=1&Ntk=SearchAll&D=rec+10&Nty=1
> > (which is a battery product).
> >
> > I did a Properties on the file, which indicated that it was a "File"
> > instead
> > of an "Internet Shortcut." (That's why I attempted to repair it by
adding
> > .URL to the file name.)
> >
> > I have already created a new link to this URL ($23.01 Battery
> > Technology.url
> > (with the .url extension hidden), and it works fine.
> >
> > I can't see why the name of the file could be important.
> >
> > thomas
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> You neglected a crucial bit of info--What is the name of the file?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS-MVP Shell/User
> >>
> >> "thomas" <9r6bdg1v001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message

> > add

> > message:

You didn't "fix" any corrupt file. You fixed it's file table entry. The file
itself didn't change, really, just its name. The system couldn't find it under
its previous name, and now can due to renaming.

Just wanted to be clear on the details for you, <s>.