-Dude, your Dell just freaking blew up!!!

Henrik

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dude, your Dell just freaking blew up!!!

As I sit here typing I'm reminded of what happened at roughly 4 p.m. Central Standard time at my office (about an hour ago); especially since my hands still smell like 'fire extinguisher'. While specifying instrumentation tag names on a flow drawing my attention is turned towards the haze building up on the other side of the engineering area. I started hearing some distant prattle about “fire”, “hmmm... what could this possibly be?” I think to myself. Upon further investigation I've come to the conclusion that someone's Dell laptop just freakin blew up and started a cozy little desktop fire!!!

Since I’m not in the mood for S’mores... "Oh, this is priceless" I think to myself; as I turn straight back to my desk where, from within my back-pack, I whip out my 7.2MP digital camera.

One of our IT guys put out the flames (yes, I said flames) and thusly covered the entire area with fire extinguisher ‘material’. The battery burned its way straight through the laptop creating the beautiful hole with which is so beautifully depicted in the picture. The fire department showed up. The police department showed up. The entire lower floor was allowed to leave early and as we stood there in front of the building we simply couldn’t resist... we jokingly called the engineer a terrorist as he was being asked a few questions by the friendly officer.

The most priceless moment of this entire ordeal is something that I, with regret, do not have a picture of. While taking pictures through the haze (after everyone had evacuated the area and before the fire department came to kick us out), the engineer who’s laptop it was had been spotted out of the corner of my eye. Apparently he heard there was a fire and that we all had to go outside. Being the noble engineer that he is, he quickly wanted to grab his laptop!!! HAHAHA The look on his face, as he stretched out his arms in disbelief was priceless!!! Again, I’m sorry I didn’t get a picture of that... I was laughing too damn hard! (I was only able to get a picture of him walking away, as I was intermittently laughing and coughing at the same time)

Here are a few pictures, please enjoy them as much as the Dell representatives and the AWESOME crew over at THG surely will when I send them the link.

Regards,
The Automation Engineer who had to go home early! :(

*edit* - This is what it did to the desk...

And my favorite (after having to pry the melted plastic apart to open it up):

Vein

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
That's awesome!!!

Not really, but you know what I mean :p

Sorry about the loss of equip though. Hopefully Dell will foot the bill...

Henrik

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
haha... For those of you interested... here's a close-up of the battery. It was tossed into the recycling bin so quickly that it melted the side of the container...

earnhardt2

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
This reminds me of an incident about a month ago when a Dell laptop burst into flames at a Japanese business conference. One of the people attending got some pictures of it. I wish I could remember the link to them.

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I wonder if it is a pure heat issue, or if there is some abnormal chemical reaction. Maybe the chemicals from the battery somehow reacts to the case material causing the fire.

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
You're probably right about that. It probably just overloads and sends way more power than it should until the battery can't take it anymore and explodes. Hopefully there wasn't anyone working too close to that dell and got hurt.

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Of course I naturally feel sorry for anyone that has to work close with a dell, even if it doesn't explode. Its even worse if they have to work on it too.

katmandude

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
nah, dell can just sell these to the US military as anti armor weapons for the marines.... they'll be like : NOW not only does the dell resist to mimitary life! u can use it as a INCENDIARY BOMB, lomb them at your favorate tech ennemys ^^..

ROTFL !!! i'm glad i bought a mac, allthough i'd think twice before putting that computer on my privates again.... :p

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
OMG!! A Dell laptop with an air intake!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now that's superb air cooling!! :lol: :lol:

Oh, it's a shame what happened to that desk... All covered in fire extinguisher dust. :wink:

Now, speaking seriously, WOW, and i mean, WOW. How can a laptop catch on fire just like that? This and the japanese episode, both laptops were Dell's. That doesn't say anything good about Dell laptops. :wink:

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
If one of these exploded while they were on someone's lap, dell would be so screwed. That person would get sooooo much money from dell in compensation.

katmandude

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
now why did u think of that... :p compensation... lol. dude, if some computer company blew your balls off with a sucky computer like a dell, would you be hollering it all over the world?? might end up like that poor starwars kidd. If it was me i'd go tell them strait, without court appearances and all that painfull shame that comes with it.
a) old computer ( not even some nice shine cool XPS or summat) + b) no more genitals + c)one mad whacky internet community who loves these sordid storys = HOW I RUINED MY LIFE BUYING SHIT FROM DELL. hell u caould write a book and star in some wierd movie along that bobbit dude.

i guess all you yanks are salivating at the promise of a nasty court thingy.. :p (just kidding, i know how u can be soooo susceptible:p) If my balls get cookie crusted to kingdom cum ( sorry for the punt) I think i'd go balistic and go stick a battery down Mr dells hiney.

lord , protect us from the evil batts from dell... lol.

for a fire to start like that, that battery must have shorted out, plus the temperatures in there must have been scorching hot, plus it had to have been , the outter skin i meant hurt in some way.

i've seen battery fires on cars and trucks, those are nasty ugly chemical fires started by shorted batts, lucky they aren't like the old sulfuric acid car batterys of ye old ages, come to think of it they still put those in... cars... urgh.....

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I used to be a system builder working at Directron.com, and I built so many more computers than I can remember. One of the most memorable things that I remember happening was watching an Intel P4 chip go up in flames in one of our computers. I don't know what happened, maybe the HSF wasn't installed correctly (I swear I did it right) but our testing people turned it on, and a couple of seconds later, a jet of flame shot out (okay, not really a jet, but its a lot cooler seeing it) and the whole system was slag.

I guess what I'm getting at is it could be Dell's fault, or it could be the manufacturer of the battery or lots of things. Stuff happens, and as long as no one gets hurt, then everyone has a good laugh and gets back to work.

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Just because I said that dell would have to pay a lot of money in compensation doesn't mean that it would be common knowledge. There are so many court cases and issues that are never revealed to the public and are still settled. Americans don't turn everything into a scandal.