BSOD when installing McAfee

gswart569

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Hi all

I got an Acer Travelmate 5530G laptop, it comes preloaded with windows 7 Pro, and has mcafee on.
It was telling me that it was about to expire, so I went and bought McAfee Internet Security 2011.
In mcafee I don't see any optione to just renew the license, but maybe I overlooked it?
Anyway, so I try to install it from the disc and enter the product key like that, but I keep getting a blue screen when the installation starts.

It starts by removing the existing McAfee software, and requests to restart after it finishes. So I restart.
As soon as its booted up the installation starts, and not even 10 seconds into the installation the BSOD comes up.

It says "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

and gives stop error code:
0x0000000A (0x9E83E000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8305CE85)

The software installs fine on another pc. And I Restored my laptop back to factory settings a few times but still have the same problem.

Any solution or advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

gswart569

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
The installation automatically removes it. But it doesn't matter if I remove it myself or let the installation remove it, same problem.

gswart569

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
So basically the money spent on mcafee is wasted money? Because there is some policy or law on returning software, and the place where I got it from says they cannot return it.

I tried contacting mcafee, no luck. The telephone numbers they have on their website don't work, and sending emails only end in "email delivery failure".

gswart569

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Okay here's an update of the problem:

The software installs fine on another pc.
By luck I had a chance to test on another Acer Laptop, same model as mine, and guess what, SAME PROBLEM.

So I phone Acer for assistance, they tell me to get a McAfee Removal tool to get totally rid of the pre-installed version, so I did, but still the same problem.

So I got an installation file for kaspersky, same blue screen. Avast, same story. So it must be some software issue, something with the pre-installed mcafee that conflicts with installation of some or any type of other anti-virus software?

Any ideas?