Disabling EIST... Off in bios, on in XP?

forumtroll

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I can't seem to turn off EIST. I've got it off in the bios, but CPU-Z still reports that my multiplier varies. At idle it is x6 instead of x9. Am I missing something?

I found this link:
http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/203838.htm

According to that article my power profile should be at "always on", and it already is set properly...

Any ideas?

-----
e6600 on a d975xbx2 (Bad Axe 2)
Toughpower 750 psu
Corsair twin2x1024c4 (two sets)
ATI x1950 pro... two of them... Crossfire mode.

pilot40874

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Over 1 1/2 years and still no answer provided?

I have the same question as I just built a new Q6600 system on a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L motherboard.

I wanted to make sure this question hadn't already been answered on the forum, so I searched "EIST" and found this thread. Unfortunately, nobody has bothered to respond.

Can somebody please provide an answer to this noob?

EIST is disabled in bios, but CPUz still shows my processor running at 6 x 266 = 1.6 while idle. What's causing the processor to be throttled down if I have deactivated EIST in the bios?

I don't get it?

Thanks

quaduser

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
I had this same problem just last night on my new Q6600 build.. I run Ubuntu and noticed that most of the time, even running 4 instances of Prime 95, my cores were each only at 1.6 Ghz. So annoying.

On my Gigabyte EP35-DS3R board, turning off EIST worked great.

Ubuntu also seems to have its own frequency scaling program.. I tried playing with the "governor" there and changed it from "on demand" to "performance" which apparently keeps it at 2.4 Ghz.. I think this step might be redundant after disabling EIST.

justsomebloke

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
Also you need to go into start/control panel/power options & stick it on Home/office desk & turn the other boxes to Never.
Along with what iluvgillgill posted of course.